We Still Believe In Sherlock Holmes

BLACK.

MUSIC growing in intensity.

ALL:

(whispered)

Moriarty was real. Moriarty was real. Moriarty was real.

VOICEOVER:

(overlay to the end)

Goodbye, John.

CUT TO:

FILMED SCENES – TBD.

THE NEWSPAPER lies opened.

VLOGGER:

Nobody told us what to believe. It usually makes sense to give proof when sharing a statement, but in this case, there didn’t seem to be any need of it. Somehow, everybody accepted it.

VLOGGER:

It’s true when they said genius can never be forgiven. Look what we did to the most brilliant man to ever live.

VLOGGER:

All that disgrace... And they bought it like bullets in the middle of the war.

VLOGGER:

There was no Richard Brook.

VLOGGER:

That was a fiction Jim Moriarty created.

VLOGGER:

Of course, we can’t prove anything. None of us work for the police or some huge magazine that could grant us access to some more information.

VLOGGER:

Telling us he was a fraud…

(laugh)

Who the Hell do they think we are? Saturday morning hangovers? Christ…

VLOGGER:

The newspapers are quiet now. Everywhere you go, people talk about the novelties, about who killed who and what new bombs are being made and whether or not Tumblr will crash on Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary… You know, the usual stuff.

VLOGGER:

The world moved on. And so did we.

(pause)

In a way. We have school and jobs and the BBC to fill our days.

VLOGGER:

But we didn’t give up on him.

VLOGGER:

While the newspapers slowly quieted down, half of London did the easiest thing in the world. They forgot. It became just another suicide, just another idiot who couldn’t bear to live with his failure and found that cement breaking your bones hurts less.

VLOGGER:

They sort of forgot about John too. Nobody brings him up much these days.

VLOGGER:

And that’s just to prove how fast everybody forgot about…

VLOGGER:

The Fall.

VLOGGER:

We call it the Reichenbach Fall, now. Not sure why. People keep on talking about how his decline started the day he became famous.

VLOGGER:

Which is absolute rubbish. You don’t become famous to fall. You become famous to rise.