Familiars

I lost time while we were travelling.  At the arrival to my new apartment, I was greeted by my 'family' with feigned joy and concern.  These people are not really my family, as I was sold into slavery to them by my drug-addicted mother who was homeless.  They promised her that they would take the greatest care of me and provide all the things she could not due to her "illness" so she agreed for enough money to get her fix for a month, (about $300).  Sad, but true.  This is the price paid for many of 'us'--and some are used for noble use, while others are used for experimental and sacrificial uses.  In a black and white world, we dwell in the grey area.  The realm of the walking dead.  The shadow people.

This pseudo-family is used to prepare me for ceremonies and support for my participation in these dark events.  We have our own secret holidays, where blood rituals are of utmost importance to our well-being and success.  To them, I am Wendy.  When I am undercover, I am Monique, Rita, Alice, Joan, and many others.  Each name serves for different missions and agendas.  Everyone is drinking, eating, and carrying on about old times--most of which I have blocked from memory, or am not allowed to remember.

After several hours of my homecoming party, they each start gathering their coats, give me a superficial departing hug and a Judas' kiss as they exit.  Tomorrow, they said, is a holy eve, and I must rest up for the great event.  I sit in my new and unfamiliar surroundings.  Not a voice in my head--very unusual, indeed.  Just silence, which is nearly unbearable.  I have always had many arguing voices in my head when I am left alone.  My familiars are not talking to me tonight, and haven't been, ever since that dream(?) of the angel(?).  I still had an unfamiliar peace and calm after everyone left me. 

Suddenly, a familiar sound came throught the wall in the dead quiet of my new apartment:  Brett's louder-than-life t.v.  A strange sensation came over me.  I felt as though he genuinely cared about my well-being.  He was my pseudo-guardian angel of the night.

I lay my head on my over-stuffed pillow, and blankly drift off into dreamless sleep.