Chapter 1

The cold, dingy rain pelts down on my already soaking wet face. I grimace as the smell of firewood and the rain mix together to form a disgusting aroma. It was disgusting in London. Foot long rats skulked the dark alleyways and stinky sewage made up of human waste and garbage ran in streams down the cracked streets.

Coal dust streaked across my face made my eyes water as it ran down in streams from the water, making trails of black. I hated this damn place! The only reason I was here right now was because Da was stupid enough to fall into debt to an awful man named Mr. Zecker.

Flashback 3 years ago

He had pockmarks all over his face, that was painted a garish white with an illness. He was huge, a mountain of a man, bent on destruction. He held the mortgage on our old shack, and since Da wasted our money, we couldn't pay it.

Mr. Zecker had than demanded payment in the form of my sister, but Da refused saying that she was too young. He had put him self up for the offer, but Mr. Zecker had told him he was too old to be of any good to him.

I had committed a grievous mistake.

I was sent to the market, to look for any cheap priced fruits that weren't too disgusting. I  headed out, pleased to be able to help out, since I was so small. After bartering for the food, I had headed home,laden down with the basket growing heavier in each step.

When I had stopped at our cottage, I had heard a large amount of yelling, but just dismissed it as maybe the neighbours.  I had walked in, intent on putting the heavy basket down to relieve my arm, when I stopped in horror.

Mr. Zecker had been holding a gun to my little sister's head, Elise and I immediately tried to back away from the cold blooded snake.

"Well, He had murmured, cackling loudly. What do we have here?"

He walked toward me, the gun still held to my sister's head. I was so scared, my knees were shaking and knocking together. He then reached for me, his grimy hand held out to grasp my brown curls.

I couldn't back away because he had backed me into a corner, and I stood as still as I could, not knowing what he would do to me.

" How old are you girl? " He thundered, looming over me.

I curled into a ball, as his looming shape had forced me onto the floor. I whimpered as he tugged my curl harder, and he almost screamed,

     "ANSWER me!"

I whimpered again, almost sobbing, my eyes filling with tears. He had his fat pig fingers wrapped in my head so tight, it felt like needles were being drilled into my skull. He pulled tighter and I couldn't hold back the soundless scream that escaped my lips.

Mr. Zecker snarled in my face, his pointed teeth yellowed with age, now bared in a feral snarl. I cringed, as he let go of my sister's hair, and with our warning tugged me closer. He lifted me up by my raggedy hood, and roared in my face,

"Has a cat got your damn tongue girl? Speak!"

I opened my mouth to reply, but nothing but air came out. His hands were around my neck, squeezing the very life out of my chest, and I was quickly loosing consciousness. I scratched at his iron locked hands, scrambling to get them off before I died a terrible death.

My face was turning a deep reddish purple and my neck felt like it was going to get cut off, when my father and mothers frail voices stopped him from squeezing me to death.

My parents, who had just been standing there, frozen in horror to see me, had came out of their daze. Wiping the beading sweat off his already pale face, he screamed

"She's 14 Zecker! For God's sake, stop choking her!"