12

Christmas Eve

Silver and red tinsel lay on the walls, brightening up the place. We all sat in the common room and had our special treat, hot chocolate. Only once a year were we allowed to drink this beverage and apparently, it was divine.

"C'mon Nicole, try it." Isaac insisted. "Okay, I'm going for it." I spoke and took a sip of the hot chocolate. It was creamy and so sweet. "Wow, this is better than I expected." I said, taking another sip. Not everyone was allowed to have hot chocolate, but the less insane ones were. I saw Ethan out of the corner of my eye speaking to one of the nurses. "What do you think they're talking about?" I asked Isaac. "Nicole, you need to forget about him. He's ignored you for 2 months. You don't need him." I nodded in agreement, but my mind was saying different to my actions. We sipped our hot chocolates in silence.

The music dimmed down and Cotton stood up quickly. "Excuse me everyone, may I have your attention please?" We all stayed silent, knowing the consequences. "As you all know, it is Christmas Eve, and of-course, we want you all to have a great time, but I would like to set a few ground rules." She took out a list and everyone mentally sighed. "No one is to leave their cells early. Everyone will be let out at the usual time of 8:30am." She preached. "Anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas will not protest and must take part in all activities and eat all meals provided. We won't be catering for your beliefs." I looked over to Isaac and widened my eyes at how insensitive she was being. Isaac shrugged as if it were the usual. "And finally, gift giving is strictly forbidden. We don't want any re-runs of Christmas of '59." I furrowed my eyebrows, unaware of "Christmas of '59" Cotton placed the paper back into her pocket. "That is all." She stated and exited the room.

"What happened Christmas of 59'?" I asked curiously, walking by Isaac's side. Isaac stopped walking suddenly. "I'm not sure if you really wanna know." he said, quickening his pace. "C'mon Isaac, tell me." I said, trying to catch up. He turned a sharp corner, as did I shortly after him. Suddenly I walked straight into a familiar brunette boy. "Oh, sorry." I whispered, awkwardly. "Actually, I'm glad I've bumped into you." He lightly smiled. "Follow me." He took my hand and led me back into the same direction as I was going before. I looked back to see Isaac shaking his head, disapprovingly.

Ethan led me to his cell and opened the large door. "Come in." He invited, allowing me to go in first. His room was grey and cold. I covered my bare arms. He knelt down and looked underneath his bed. "Ah." He mumbled to himself. Ethan lay underneath the bed and began fiddling. "Ethan, what are you doing?" I questioned, growing impatient. He didn't reply. There was a small silence until Ethan spoke suddenly. "Got it!" He slid from underneath the bed on the stone floor holding a small box and a string. "I had to tie it to my bed so they wouldn't find it when they do the room searches." Ethan stood up and handed me the brown box. I looked at him with confusion. "Merry Christmas." He smiled for the first time in a while. I slowly opened the small box to find a glistening silver necklace with a small heart pendant on it. I slowly looked up towards Ethan. "I can't believe this. How did you get it?" I smiled in awe. "I know my ways" he teased, scratching the back of his head. Ethan took the necklace out of the box and motioned for me to turn around. I spun around on my heel and I felt his body inch towards mine with the necklace. He, carefully, did the clamp and I turned around to face him. "Thankyou so much Ethan." I hugged him, taking in the moment. He let go and held my hands. "You wanna know something, Nicole?" I looked him in the eye and replied, "okay" in a confused tone. "I love you, like a lot, and I'm sorry I've been so distant lately. It's just that Isaac freaks me out." He looked down. "He's a great guy.." I said with even more confusion. "He rapes people Nicole." Ethan spoke simply and suddenly. "What?" I said, letting go of his hands. "That's why he's here, and were wondering where Martha from the library had gone?" I nodded, knitting my eyebrows together. "She was his latest victim." I felt all the colour drain from my face. I sat down on Ethans hard, lumpy bed. We stood in silence once again. "Wait, did you say you loved me?"

-

OH SHIT
follow my Twitter pls - @kingmaai
Peace🤘🏼