Chapter 6:

We join Jason and Maria in the car and the looks on their faces are confused waiting for the fill in on what just happened.

"That dog, my dog, had rabies", I say to all of them.

"What the hell is rabies", Jason asked.

"It's a really contagious fatal disease", Maria explains.

"I love it when you talk medical", Jason flirts.

Maria just rolls her eyes.

"Wait so does that mean Grace has rabies", Jason says his eyes widening.

"No, you idiot it only spreads through saliva", I say annoyed.

"Oh okay so if you kissed someone with it you could get it?" Jason asks looking at Maria.

"Please shut up Jason and Alex can we please get out of here", I say slightly annoyed.

Alex nods and hits on the gas as we speed out of there quickly.

Maria lived fairly close so we were at her house in about 10 minutes. We pulled into the driveway of a nice smaller two story house and what could only be where Maria lived.

"I'll get the clothes and stuff I need and I'll be right back", Maria said getting out of the car while grabbing her crutches. She struggles out of the car and onto the driveway. When she approaches the stairs with her crutches she looks back at the car she looks back to where we all sitting in the car.

"I'll help her", Jason says sounding annoyed. He rushes out of the car to her leaving Alex and me in the car alone. He scoops her up in his arms and carries her up the stairs and they enter the front door together.

Alex turns backward to face me.

"Did you get enough stuff", he says eyeing all my clothing that I got from my house.

"Yeah", I shrug.

"Why the stuffed bear?", he asked.

"Why the sushi", I reply.

"Stop changing the subject, do you have a soft spot for bears or something?", He asks.

"No, I have a soft spot for my little brother", I reply.

He gives me a knowing look, this understanding look. I remember his little sister.

"We're going to be okay, you know that right", He says assuring me.

I wished that were true, I hoped it was true, but I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be.

"I'm more worried about family", I reply.

"They're not here, so they have to be safer than us", He replied.

"Yeah, or they could be dead", I say.

"Way to be positive, I'm sure they're alive", He says.

"But that's the thing we don't know. We don't know a thing. Whenever I read any book I would always read it so quickly and sometimes read the last page because I was so impatient and eager" I say.

"We'll this isn't fiction"

"Exactly and I have no idea what's the last page and if I even make it to the last page"

Finally, after 15 minutes or so Maria comes out with Jason following her closely. She was carrying a bag I could only assume full of clothes and other necessities.

"Where do you think half of out peers are at?" Maria asked.

"We can check general places?" I suggest.