Forest

It was dark. You knew you weren't meant to be out now, but you couldn't resist it. The forest near your home was full of eeriness and mystery, the temptation of coming here at night gave you a rush of adventure.  You look at your phone, the light blinding your eyes- 11:59pm.

"Great.." You whisper to yourself, you knew that when the clock struck midnight, things would start happening: creatures emerge from the ground, ghosts come out of tombs and the dead search for human flesh. You sat under an old, rotting tree to try to figure out where you were, you had only been in the forest twice.

Ping.

Your heart skips a beat and you suddenly freeze. Quickly, your eyes scan the foggy area around you, making sure you were alone. Then, you have a sudden realisation. Your phone. You grab it and turn it on.

Where are you? I'm worried plz come home x

It was your older brother, he was always one to worry the most; always the one who was the smartest and the best behaved. You grin to yourself and start typing, telling him you'll be back straight away. You jump up and brush the dirt and dust off your black jeans- time to head home now! But before you could even step forward, a thought creeps into your head, one that sends shivers down your spine and makes your head dizzy as it keeps replaying like a broken record.

It was midnight.

You start walking, getting faster and faster at every chime that plays in your head. Immediately, you are stopped dead in your tracks, a hand had grabbed your ankle and wasn't planning on letting go. Your eyes widen as you stumble away from the decaying hand, it's nails digging into your skin. You scream in fear and pain, you weren't thinking straight and had to do something quickly. You look around and find a thick stick just in your reach. You lunge toward it, grabbing it and swinging it onto the hand. It jerks away from you and let's go, pushing more and more out of the ground as it does so. You clumsily get up and start sprinting away, but you knew deep down that you may not be getting out alive.

Your eyes fill with tears and your vision blurs; you scream even louder this time, your voice echoes throughout empty forest. Cackles soon join your screams in an agonising song of jeers. Shadows dance eerily around you and floating apparitions spin across your view. You were now lost, you had no way of getting out of this never ending forest.

You grab your phone and try to unlock it but you were soon stopped by a tall, skinny woman with long black hair. She gurgles sounds that you struggle to understand, then, you start to hear her.

"Where's... my.. Baby?" The woman tilts up her head to reveal that her eyes were filled with a dark red and her mouth had been twisted into a sinister smile. You fall back, shocked at the sight of this woman. You take out your phone for the last time and you ring your brother- he'll come to find you.

You look up to the the woman, inches from your face and grinning from ear to ear.

"You...have my...baby!" She shrieks, her words piercing your spine and sending shivers everywhere. She grabs you by the neck and pins you up against a tree. Staring into your eyes, she lets out another painful cry and throws you back onto the cold ground.

Darkness.

Your eyes open slowly as your whole body was being dragged by the woman. You knew that making a sound would make her scream again, and you didn't want that so you kept your mouth shut. She made even more sounds that made it seem that she was drowning.

"Maybe that's how she died?" You think to yourself. Suddenly, she stopped. You felt something wet crawl up your leg- was that water? You scream for help and try to kick the woman away, but it's no use, she was already forcing your body underwater. You feel more water rush around you, it was too late for fighting now. The woman stared at you, her grin widening as you sink downwards. Struggling for air, you open your mouth. Bad choice. Your lungs fill with water and you can feel the darkness cradle you.

"It's...over..." The woman speaks. You feel something touch your leg, looking down, you see a small silhouette.

Her baby.

You close your eyes, hoping this was all a dream, but it wasn't. You hear a baby's scream as the little life you had left in you disappeared...