Prom Madness (part 3)

The next day at school, Jackie skipped school to pick up Richard, and my day went by in a blur. I went out of my way to avoid John and Gabby, and neither seemed to notice. Although at lunch, when I sat alone at the table in the far corner, John looked back and smirked. Oh? Did he think he was going to win?

Prom night finally came, and me and Jackie tried to corner John before he got to the bathrooms and meet Gabby. We were in the middle of the path made right through some tree leading to the school. Lights were woven in and out of the tree trunks all the way down the path. It was beautiful.

He finally came out way with a bunch of football buddies. The all kept walking when John stopped.

"John," I said nicely, not wanting to sound threatening just yet. "Richard Is already here, if you go in there, you are going to ruin everything." John just smiled.

"That's the plan." he flashed an ominous smile and continued forward to the school. Me and Jackie stood there and watched him walk away like an idiot.

If John wasn't going to cooperate, It would result in a lot of blood spilled. The effect: John lying unconscious for a few hours in some dirty shrubs.

"Wait," I called into the dark, even though the lights were there, It wasn't enough. The trees' shadows made it hard to see what was ahead. It didn't help that John was wearing a black tux. "Come back!"

I ran forward after him and caught him by the shoulder. Jackie caught up and kicked him behind the knees making him involuntarily buckle forward in pain, but giving me access to his neck. Quickly, before he could shake me away or hurt me for that matter, I sunk my tiny fangs into his cool flesh.

I heard a shrill yelp come from his mouth in surprise. Behind me now, stood a laughing Jackie. She always laughed at pain. What a dork.

As I drew blood from John, who was now still as a corps and heavy as hell. It's not easy holding up a six foot four inch football player.

I could now hear his thoughts. At first it was like a radio tuning to find the right station.

'What the hell is going on?'

'What do you think Moron? 'I tried to make my mental voice as sarcastic as I possibly could. 'Isn't it obvious? We're dancing!'

'Shut up,' and as if his voice was a feather in the wind, it was slowly fading away; he was becoming mentally unconscious.

More quietly, he said 'What are you going to do when you're done, throw me in a river.' his words were strong and sarcastic sounding, but in reality he actually was afraid of what we might do.

'No worries my friend, we just need you out of the way so Richard can butt in. '

If there was such thing as a mental snarl, he made the noise.

'Sleep tight Uncle John,' I said before I pulled away. It was odd drinking his blood, it was abnormally sweet.

I ended up kneeling on the ground with John laying across me like a rag doll. I wiped the blood dripping from the corners of my mouth with the bottom of my black dress. It wouldn't show up any way.

"Get him off me," I snapped. Jackie helped me roll him off on to the dirt floor.

"Should we just leave him here and go find Gabby and Richard?" Jackie tried to drag John into the bushes where he'd be unseen, but it was quite difficult, there was no way to camouflage him.

"I think we should just leave him where he is. We don't need to hurt him trying to get him somewhere" I air quoted, "'safe'."

So, we left John, and skipped to the school gym to find Gabby... We acted like we just got done trick or treating.