The Art Of Zombie Killing [Chapter 4]

Chapter 4 

Believing

Larissa let me into her room after a few minutes of telling her I wasn't playing some game. She kept discrete about what she told me and I kept telling her that I wasn't someone looking to hurt her or ridicule her. I mentioned to her that if I didn't actually believe, I wouldn't be wasting my time.

She explained that Nolan and Brett were in on it, that they believed. After work, they would spend time setting up the safe house that would soon be used for when the apocalypse started. She told me what it looked like and how I would get to it and gain access into it. It was some old, concrete building that had been vacant for some years now. One of Larissa's friends' family members bought it awhile back, in case of an emergency.

Brett and Nolan were going to bust her out and let all the rest of the patients free. Larissa said I was free to come. There were going to be about 30 other humans there, too. 30 humans believed. I couldn't fathom the fact that there were others. And just when I thought I knew the world, I discover something else.

-

A few days later of work and planning with Nolan, Brett, and Larissa, it was my day off. I didn't want to be home. I didn't want to be just sitting there. Three days left. You don't know how much time you got. My parents knew nothing of it, talked nothing of it, acted the same. My sister, however, kept asking me questions. She would ask if I believed or if I knew what I was going to be doing that day. I told her I knew nothing and left it at that.

"You could get yourself thrown in here if you let anyone know you believe that zombies are going to take over our world," Larissa said as I walked into her room, sizing me up with her eyes once I passed through the threshold. I wanted nothing but to talk to her and since visiting hours were open, I decided to take advantage of it.

I sat on the edge of her bed and watched her as she walked to the chair in front of me. She wasn't wearing her normal robe but a black, sleeveless shirt with white, really short shorts.

"I know but I honestly don't care," I said then laid back. The room was comfortable, despite the place it was in.

"How're you feeling?" she asked then tossed me a water bottle from the mini refrigerator she had.

"Awful. I haven't been able to sleep well for the past few days," I said as I grabbed the bottles and sat up.

"Don't think of it as the end of the world," she said then smiled kindly at me. The gesture made my heart beat louder, causing me to shudder.

"I don't try to," I said then looked down. "I've been having dreams of me being chased. I don't die or anything, I just keep going."

She got up and sat next to me on the bed.

"It's because you survive, Brady. When the apocalypse ends, you'll be alive," she paused then put her head on my shoulder. "That doesn't mean you'll have an easy ride, though."

I felt a weight lift off me when she said that. I knew she wasn't lying. Larissa wasn't into it.

I put my hands on either side of her face and looked at her.

She closed her eyes and sighed.

"Larissa, thank you," I said. She opened her eyes and put her hands over mine, still on her face.

"You're welcome," she said as the world seemed to stop moving. "Griffon, you are the craziest guy I've met."

I laughed.

"

"Psh. I'm like a little sister. I grew up with them. Besides, Nolan wants to get married to a girl named Sonja and Brett wants.. never mind him," she said then laughed.