Chapter

Chapter Five

Waking up in the hunger games was both the most exciting and most terrifying experience of Carlie's life.

A part of her had been hoping that a tribute would have killed her in her sleep so she wouldn't have to deal with any pain, unfortunately that didn't happen, if she had died in her sleep she would barely have even noticed. However she did wake up so she felt obliged to at least try to stay alive.

Don't get me wrong Carlie wants to win, more than anything, but she's starting to wonder if she would be better off dead, less for her parents to deal with.

Shaking those negative thoughts out of her head Carlie packed up a bag of supplies she had received from her stylist during the night. It only had a water bottle and a knife but those were vital if she wanted to live even just past today.

Carlie took one last glance at where she had spent the night before turning and going to find a better more secure place to sleep the next night.

She walked on and on her bottle of water almost finished, she'd have to find more of that later, so far the trees looked nice but Carlie was starting to think about finding somewhere among the maze.

So she set off towards the maze, stone cold killer look on her face, she could play heartless very well, she'd been playing the part since she lost Sam and she didn't plan on giving it up now.

When you're in a life or death situation you really do appreciate the little things in life.

Carlie found a peaceful bliss as she would along the bird chirping in the back to a tune they just made up. When Carlie was younger she used to dream of being a bird, to be free, of course when she mentioned this to her mother she simply nodded and "that's nice dear." Carlie had been no older than six at the time but after that she sort of knew that she would grow up alone.

Well until she got really close to Sam. She and Sam had been neighbours, very cliche I know, Sam's mom used to joke about and say how they would get married. She and Sam never would get married since they were just simply best friends but now they couldn't even contemplate the idea because Sam was dead.

She reached the stone walls quicker than she had anticipated but she was glad the thoughts going through her head were dangerous and Carlie knew what would happen if she couldn't control her emotions.

The cold stone walls matched Carlie's insides perfectly.

Carlie tentatively walked around the maze, she wasn't looking for an exit just a place to stay for a while.

Left and right and right and left.

So many turns were taken, she had walked for ages, no matter how long she'd walked she still hadn't found a suitable place to rest.

That was when Carlie came across a small corner, vines grow over the sides, if she heard someone coming it wouldn't be hard or take long to run the opposite direction.

It was perfect, an illusion of perfect at the very least.

She took a last drink out of her bottle, she really needs more of that, before sitting down half hidden in the ivy and resting upon her backpack.

"I'll show you mother I'm not worthless."

- Laura x