Chapter 1

1 August 1914, Paris France
James continued to pack his bag as Mary sat crying to the couch. The night before was the worst. Her loud sobs filled the room, but James didn't have a choice he had to go and join the Allies in The Great War, otherwise he'd be considered a cowered.
"Please don't go," Mary whispered over and over again to herself.
James came in from the other room and sat on his knees holding Mary's hands. "Mary, Darling, I promise that I will make it back. And as soon as the war is over we will start up with all of our plans again. And we will get married and then we will start a family."
Mary smiled a bit, but it didn't last long. "What if when you get back your hurt or decide you don't want to marry me?"
"How could I not? Your beautiful, smart, talented, and I love you."
"You love me now. But what, what if you die? Then what what I'm I supposed to do." She sobbed louder than she had the night before with no care that the neighbors might have heard.
"Then you'd get through it. You'd meet someone else. You're stronger than you know." James looked down at her hands that he would later miss so much.
"I don't want to meet anyone else. You're the only one I want to marry. And you're the only one I want to start a family with. You can't just think I'm going to find someone else." Her tone was harsher than usual like she was insulted that he would think she could do something like that.
"I'm not saying right away. And truthfully I hope you never love someone as much as me, but you will make it. And your sister's coming soon, and your parents will come and see you, they're coming tomorrow right?"
She sniffed and let the tears run down her face.
James continued to hold her small fragile hands in his.