Chapter 4 - A Very Klaine Audition

"Taylor, breathe honey, it's only an audition." Kurt whispered. He had lost all the little colour he had to begin with, his hands tapping against his guitar frantically. 

"What if I'm bad, Kurt? And don't say I'm not, you've known me for two hours," he grimaced, trying to avoid the sea of eyes before him. Desperately, he tried to find a face he knew. Nick. Jeff. Wes. David. Evan. Ethan. Damien.

Wait, Damien's here?!

"Tay, your up." Blaine smiled, patting hi on the back encouragingly. Trembling, he stood up, walked painfully slowly to the center of the room, adjusted the microphone to his smaller height and took a deep breath. He'd be fine as long as he didn't loo at anyone. Especially Damien.

He was a boy
She was a girl
Can I make it anymore obvious?
He was a punk.
She did ballet.
What more can I say?
He wanted her.
She'd never tell.
Secretly she wanted him as well.
And all of her friends
Stuck up their nose.
And they had a problem with his baggy clothes.

He was a skater boy, she said see ya later boy.
He wasn't good enough for her.
She had a pretty face but her head was up in space.
She needed to come back down to earth.

Five years from now, she sits at home feeding the baby, she's all alone.
She turns on TV and guess who she sees?
Skater boy rockin' up MTV.
She calls up her friends.
They already know
And they've all got tickets to see his show.
She tags along, stands in the crowd.
Looks up at the man that she turned down.

He was a skater boy, she said see ya later boy.
He wasn't good enough for her.
Now he's a superstar
Slammin' on his guitar
Does your pretty face see what he's worth?

Sorry girl but you missed out.
Well tough luck that boy's mine now.
We are more than just good friends.
This is how the story ends.
Too bad that you couldn't see...
See the man that boy could be.
There is more than meets the eye,
I see the soul that is inside.

He's just a boy, and I'm just a girl.
Can I make it anymore obvious?
We are in love.
Haven't you heard how we rock each other's world?

I'm with the skater boy I said see ya later boy.
I'll be backstage after the show.
I'll be at the studio singing the song he wrote about a girl he used to know

Woops and cheers echoed around the room and all of a sudden both Kurt and Blaine were pulling him into a massive hug.

"You. Are. Awesome." Kurt squealed. Damien was next to him, a smile on his tanned face.

"You do realise that's a girl's song?" he ased, flicking his caramel coloured hair from his eyes.

"You do realise that your wearing girl's nail varnish?" retorted Kurt, looing annoyed.

"Touche." he smiled, placing a hand on Taylor's shoulder, sending sparks running down his arm, "You nailed it, angel." And with a wink, he turned to leave. Taylor shuddered, still in disbelief. This guy was in magazines all the time, on TV, in music videos. He lived in L.A for gods sake. Why the hell was he in Lima? And most importantly, why was he unashamedly flirting with him? Of all the rich, clever, beautiful and talented people in this school, in this very choir room. Why had he chosen him?

--

Only Wes noticed Taylor running from the room, not that he ran after him, Kurt was about to start and this was undoubtedly a moment that would go down in Warbler history, he had been warned about what was to come. A very Klaine audition.

"Steph, Kurt... insisted that we duet, I do hope that's okay." Blaine smiled sweetly, causing the young woman to simply roll her eyes, signalling for them to get on with it.

Hurriedly, Blaine slid onto the piano stool. Gently, he stroked the keys, giving Kurt a meaningful look, he wasn't one to let a flirty duet go to waste. Meanwhile, Kurt was having an internal panic attack. Breathe, he told himself, trying to remember the advice Blaine had given him earlier.

"Imagine the most incredible, perfect guy in the world, picture it, your totally in love with him, head over heels. Now sing to me, pretend I am that guy."

It's not hard, especially not when your gazing at me with those hazel eyes. No, hazel doesn't even to begin to describe it, there's flecks of green, amber, gold-...

Get a grip Hummel, he's singing already.

This is how the story went
I met someone by accident,
Who blew me away, he blew me away.

And his voice is like... like...- Oh Gaga, your acting like a girl from one of those stupid chic flicks. Focus.

And It was in the darkest of my days
When you took my sorrow and you took my pain
And buried them away, you buried them away.

Kurt began to sing, only just able to remember his lines. Blaine's face was hard to look at, he looked like he was tearing up inside.

He's acting, idiot.

I wish I could lay down beside you
When the day is done
And wake up to your face against the morning sun
But like everything I've ever known
you'll disappear one day
So I'll spend my whole life hiding my heart away

Kurt, who told himself that it was simply because he was in character, couldn't help but wander over to where Blaine was sitting, blushing as he sang the lyrics directly to him.

Dropped you off at the train station
Put a kiss on top of your head
And watched you away                                                                                                                                  And watched you away

Then I went on home to my skyscrapers
Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home
I call that home

Woke up feeling heavy hearted
I'm going back to where I started
The morning rain
The morning rain
And though I wish that you were here
on that same old road that brought me here
It's calling me home

Kurt leaned closer to the boy he was hopelessly in love with, warm hazel eyes met cool blue ones, making his legs turn to jelly. Their faces were so close Kurt could smell coffee, chocolate and cinammon on Blaine's breath. He could easily lean over and...

I wish I could lay down beside you
When the day is done
And wake up to your face against the morning sun
But like everything I've ever known
You'll disappear one day
So I'll spend my whole life hiding my heart away

I can't spend my whole life hiding my heart away

Applause, echoed around the room. The song was over. Kurt wasn't acting anymore. Blaine never had been.

-

xoxo