Chapter 1 - Family BBQ's

Chapter 1:

                Everything was quiet in the Wheeler house, their fish; Zabe swam happily in his small tank while everyone else slept. In the midst of the peacefulness, a sudden shrill ring of an alarm clock blared throughout Megan's room. Startled by this, she squealed and sat up quickly, until finally comprehending what had awoken her from her sleep and slapping the 'off' button with full force. "Come on!" Megan shrieked once she realized what time it actually was. "It's Saturday!" she yelled to the ceiling, feeling moronic for yelling at an inanimate object for forgetting to turn off her alarm clock.

Usually once Megan was up, she was fully awake for the rest of the day which was a severe inconvenience, especially at six in the morning. She ripped the blankets from her body and strolled through the house silently, heading for the kitchen to find something to eat. She finally settled on a bowl of Cheerios and a glass of water before plopping onto the couch and turning on the TV show to some mindless television.

Hours later, footsteps could be heard stomping through the house. Jordan was up. “Megan can you wait!?” Jordan screeched as she ran into the living room, almost knocking Megan of off the couch.

The dark haired girl’s eyebrows furrowed at her little sisters enthusiasm. “What are you so excited about?”

“Today,” Jordan answered quickly.

Sighing exasperatedly, Megan pulled some hair back from her face; her hair always seemed to do that. “Really?” she sarcastically exclaimed. “I meant, what is going on today that has gotten you so excited?”

Jordan started for the kitchen, Megan slowly trailing behind her, and reached for the box of Cheerios she had previously. “We are going to Gia Gia and Papou’s for a barbeque, don’t you remember?”

“What?” Megan sighed irritated. “No one told me this, I don’t really want to go.”

“But you have to!” Jordan cut in. “They’re our grandparents and they want us there for every barbeque they have.”

Megan stared incredulously at her younger sibling. You see, Tiffany is Greek and Gia Gia and Papou are her parents (meaning grandma and grandpa). Almost every weekend they have a giant barbeque where the whole family joins and there is plenty of food, games and things to do… For everyone except Megan.  She always compared her life to ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding’ – the family concept anyways – her family has always been that tight-knit unit that knows everything about one another. Megan and Jordan have thirty cousins just on her mother’s side, however most of them live in Greece, so they only really know their cousins; Adelphos and Narkis but she didn’t want to think of the family drama now. “Fine, I’ll go! But I am not going to like it,” she declared as she headed for her room to get ready for the rest of this dreaded day.

__________

“Is everyone already here?” Jordan asked from the backseat of the family car, a gray Honda with a gray interior and a lot of memories.

                Tiffany glanced in the little mirror one last time before slamming it shut and turning to face her children. Jordan was shaking in her seat, ready to jump out at any second which made her laugh, until she glanced at Megan who was blankly staring out of her window dreading her time here. Tiffany knew that her eldest loved her grandparents with all of her heart, but she also knew that Adelphos and her didn’t get along very well and were constantly at each other’s throats. “Okay guys, you can go in,” she said as she unbuckled her own seat belt, opened the door and headed for the front door.

                “μαμά να ανοίξει την πόρτα παρακαλώ,” Tiffany shouted over the blaring music that could be heard from outside.