Chapter 2

© Sandra Corton 2013

Chapter 2

Her phone rang unexpectedly as she got ready in her sombre black dress. All the previous day her mind had churned over what had happened. The way his fingers had touched her skin, sending shards of fire through her. That simple touch had changed something in her, making her body thrum for him. She had never felt such intensity in her life. She quickly picked up the ringing phone and answered it when she realised she had been in a dream world again.

"Hello?" She said rather breathlessly.

"Hello is this Miss Honey Combes?" A stranger’s voice asked and for a moment she wished it was him but knew that it wasn't. Her mystery man’s voice was deeper and far more intriguing.

"Yes, who is this?"

"Miss Combes this is Dalton Manning from Manning and Sons. We are calling in regards to the will of the late departed Rosie Jackson." The man said far too cheerfully for Honey's liking.

"Okay and why exactly does that concern me?" Honey asked her tone puzzled.

"She left you something. I guess she never informed you of this?"

"No of course not." Honey managed to say around her shock.

"Well the will reading has been set up for this afternoon at one if you can attend our office then." The man finished abruptly.

"Sure, I'll be there." Honey answered before hanging up.

What could Rosie have possibly left her? Honey wondered as she continued to get ready for the funeral. She was sure it would be some small trinket just to say thanks for working for her. Her nerves hummed then knowing she would see Aiden not only at the funeral but also later in the day.

At the funeral she felt his stare, those silver eyes of his only adding to the air of mystery surrounding him. When he went to make an impassioned speech about his aunt, she couldn't take her eyes off him.

It was then that she realised he truly loved Rosie. His voice cracked in parts and she felt a depth of sadness for his loss. He would now be in that big old house all by himself. She sighed as he finished his speech and his eyes locked onto hers as though he had heard her from across the room.

His face was grim with grief etched deeply around his eyes. Her heart went out to him. It was never easy losing someone so close to you. Standing there saying goodbye seemed too little, not right somehow. She said a simple blessing under her breath and wished Rosie well.

She turned back around, sensing his presence nearby. Her breath hitched in as her heart raced. Oh how this mystery man could get her all worked up simply by standing within her presence.

"I wanted to ask whether you knew about the will." He asked smoothly, his deep voice making her want to shiver.

In the last six months she had worked for Rosie, she had seen him once. She had only ever spoken to him the day before. His voice was just as mysterious as he was. She wanted to be wrapped up in words he said with that glorious voice of his.

"Hmmm yes one of the Manning's called me this morning." She replied quickly.

"I need to explain something before we go there." He said his voice insistent with his face still grim. She wondered what he would look like when he smiled. "My family will not make much sense to you." He said simply and she raised an eyebrow.

"In what way?" She asked as he grunted seeming rather angry.

"Just try not to be surprised by what you see today and please have some discretion not to mention what happens to anyone." He ground out the words furiously and she couldn't figure out why he was so upset.