Chapter Eleven

Toby's father hurried down the stairs in less time than it Spencer to sit down at the dinner table. He was tall, well built, like Toby, and had golden brown hair.
"Dad, this is Spencer. Spence, this is my dad." Toby introduced.
"It's so nice to meet you," Spencer greeted sweetly, holding out her hand. He gave her a grin and handshake.
"Likewise. Spencer, you must be the Hasting's' youngest girl?"
"Yes," Spencer was caught off guard by the fact that he didn't mention the Jenna Thing.
"You have grown up so much."
"Oh, I'm so sorry.  I didn't know we had met before."
            "Oh, it's fine it was years ago.  You ran a 8.8 kilometer marathon at the age of 7 and still managed to beat your father. We were running mates, your dad and I. You beat me too by the way."
"Well, a Hasting's always wins." As she says this Toby grabs her hand.
"The play was great." Toby says, changing the subject.
"Was it? I've always loved The Bad Seed." Christopher mentions.
"Spencer was amazing," Toby looks at her. Spencer is blushing.
"She was the lead," Tiffany interjects, smiling. 
                  "You're parents must be so proud."
                Spencer just smiles sadly. Toby squeezes her hand tighter.  "Her parents didn't go Chris, they forgot."  Tiffany.
                "They're very busy people," Spencer lies.
                 "Well," Toby's father starts.  "I'm sure you were wonderful.  Anyone up for a game of scrabble?"
"I am!" Spencer answers eagerly, which makes Toby grin goofily.
An hour later, the four of them sat around the table. No one was keeping track of the score. Spencer didn't even know who was winning, and for the first time, she didn't care. Why couldn't she have a family where winning wasn't everything?
Toby walked her home.  Hand in hand.  His jacket draped around her shoulders as she leaned into his.  They stopped at the porch.
                     "This was really fun," Spencer whispers. 
                        "Yeah, it was."
                        "Thank you for tonight, I needed this."
                         "Of course.  I'll call you tomorrow morning?"
                        "Yes, please."  Her voice is quiet and muffled by his chest.
                         He kisses her sweetly.  Holding her body for second longer.
                        "Good night, Spence."
                       Spencer had wanted to say more than, "Good night, Toby."  She had wanted to say I love you.