gray ➳ ii.

when you catch matthew in his own lie

"Matthew, where were you last night?"

"I was uh... I was shopping for a new suit." Matthew bit down on the inside of his cheek, noticing how narrow your eyes were at him.

"Really?"

"Pretty much so, yes."

You swallowed the lump in your throat as soon as those words left his mouth. You couldn't believe he'd lie to your face.

Shaking your head in disbelief, you turned your back to him, making the man furrow his eyebrows.

Matthew's jaw clenched as his eyes trailed to the floor. He had a feeling you found out, and now he knew he was in deep trouble.

"If you went shopping for a new suit, I'd see it in your closet by now." You sighed deeply, running a hand through your hair. "So please tell me, what were you really doing?"

He closed his eyes for a brief moment. "I was out with another woman," Matthew began, avoiding your eyes. "I needed to clear my mind and—look I made a huge mistake, and I'm sorry—"

"No. You're not." You held back tears, turning your head so he wouldn't notice. Your cheeks began to heat up from anger.

Matthew continued to watch you anyway, even if your back was turned to him. He knew he'd have to make it up to you somehow, no matter how hard it would be. Even if you chose not to forgive him.

He loved you with all his heart, and he was willing to fix himself and his own intentions.