"I Won't Leave You"

• Dedicated to Feature Films for Families

Rigoletto felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at Bonnie. Suddenly the silence of the room was broken by Bonnie's quiet, decisive footsteps. His eyes followed Bonnie as she moved to her usual place in front of the piano, never taking her eyes off the folder.

"Where were we?" she said as though nothing changed, trying to force all thoughts of the competition from her mind-Mr. Ribaldi was more important.

"What?" he looked at her in disbelief, sure that he had not heard properly.

"My lesson," Bonnie clarified looking at him expectantly.

"Lesson?" he nearly choked.

She closed the folder, "You're the most beautiful person I've ever known." She had nearly finished speaking before she worked up the courage to look into his face again. She didn't plan to say it. She thought it to herself often, but this was the first time she said it aloud. It felt like the most natural truth in the world, not forced or awkward. 

He shook his head with the little strength he could muster, his sad, red eyes fixed on her, "You don't mean that."

She set the folder on the piano as she started towards him. "You don't think I'd let those people tell me what to do," she was nearly sobbing now. "I won't leave you!" She cried as she threw her arms around him.