Prologue

Graveyards were not Nikolai Markov's favourite place. They reeked of death and sorrow, lost dreams and hopes- all buried six feet under.

The day was cold and grey, as if mimicking the emotions of the small group of people that stood in the cemetery. The cry of an anguished mother pierced through the graveyard, briefly halting the priest's words.

"From dust to dust-" he continued almost robotically, so used to saying the words.

Nikolai wrapped his arms around his mother, Nadia, as if to shield her from the sympathetic stares that were cast towards them. His grey eyes were glazed over with unshed tears. He refused to cry- not when his mother needed him most.

He lifted his head towards the heavens, wondering what had gone wrong. A wave of sorrow hit him and he gasped at the pain tugging at his heart. He so wished he could go back in time to stop what had happened. His gaze travelled to the coffin that was soon to be buried then across to where Alexei stood.

Alexei. His only brother now.

It was hard to believe Dmitry, the eldest of the three, was gone. All because of some very foolish mistakes on their part- Dmitry's and Alexei's.

The youngest brother looked back at him mournfully as tears stained his cheeks. Nikolai looked away. It was their fault, he thought. He swallowed the frog lodged in his throat before turning his attention back to the priest.

"-and he shall always be remembered as Dmitry Markov. Beloved son, brother, friend and companion. May his soul rest in peace," and with that he motioned for Nadia to step forward. She did so with the help of her son. She picked up a handful of dirt.

"Oh Dim," she whispered softly as she threw dirt over the casket. "Sleep tight." The brother's followed suit.

When the men began to shovel the dirt, thunder boomed. And it rained as if the sky was weeping too.

Two Days Later

Nikolai walked over to the wine cabinet. Taking a glass, he poured himself some vodka. He sipped it slowly then turned to face his brother.

With his jaw set, a look of steel in his eyes, he said, "Tell me everything."

Alexei began the tale. It all started three months ago.