Chapter 21: Confession

~Hiromi's POV~

What? No, he didn't just ask that did he? I was caught by surprise by his sudden question and froze on the spot. I only realised I had stopped breathing when I found myself having the urge to take in a huge volume of air. I inhaled deeply and steadied my breathing. I was still shaken up by the kiss but I tried to sit up.

"I um," I began, "I see you as a..." My voice trailed off, my thoughts came to an abrupt stop as I tried to figure out what he was to me. By now I have already known that he was definitely more than a friend to me, so the answer 'childhood friend' was out. Should I just come out and say it? What I really feel? Although my answer might disappoint him, I couldn't stand being in between friends and lovers. I needed a sort of confirmation with him.

"What?" He looked so eager, I felt bad for the answer I was going to give him. It was the first time witnessing him seeming a bit irritated as well, probably due to my delay.

"The truth is, I see you as more than a friend." I kept my eyes on him, and I saw his eyes brighten. I cringed as to what I was about to continue with. "But the thing is," I saw his face fell, "I'm not sure or ready."

He fell silent, the air was stiffening in the room. I still needed to continue.

"I'm sorry, I do like you but I think I'm not ready. I want to focus on bigger things in life, you know? It may sound really selfish coming from me, considering that I kissed you first..." I trailed off again, feeling ashamed by my words and actions. Sanji easily losing control? I think I beat him in that aspect.

After a while, he spoke.

"But you do have feelings for me?" He said disappointedly.

"Yes."

"Then, I have a request." He sighed.

"What is it?" I asked, puzzled by his question. What was he going to ask now?

"When two years pass by, give me a solid answer. That's all the time I'm gonna give you. After that, no more chances. Promise?"

"Promise." I held out my pinky, and he eyed it strangely, as if wondering what he should do. "Silly." I muttered and reached out for his hand to bring his pinky to mine. We entwined our fingers together, sealing the promise.

"You better not forget the promise you made. I take it that you'll be staying single until then?" I asked playfully.

"Yeah." He smiled.

"That's a long time, I wonder if you're up to it." I teased, knowing his irresistible attraction towards the opposite sex.

"Shut-" He paused when he realised he was about to speak so rudely to a girl. He looked away and blushed slightly. In the past, I didn't like it when he didn't treat me like a girl, but now I don't like it either when he treats me like a girl. It made me feel ordinary, and common.

"You can speak as you like." I spoke with purposeful false authority.

He chuckled and ruffled my hair, "I'll still touch you like this alright, but no more intimacy."

I hesitated a little but ultimately agreed, "Alright."

I would miss our intimacy but I guess it would be better to be friends.

~Sanji's POV~

"I'll be leaving first then." I got up and proceeded to make my way to the door when I felt a tug at my sleeve.

"Why're you leaving?" She asked with concern apparent in her eyes. I wasn't sure but I thought I could make out signs of pity in her baby pink eyes. I felt my chest squeeze into a tight knot and before it could turn into a permanent knot I quickly came up with an excuse to leave.