Chapter 8 : Making a friend?

Chapter 8

Monday...

Riker POV 

"Riker, come downstairs please," mom called.

I walked downstairs slowly. Ross had hurt my back last night.

I walked to the kitchen, and sat down, sighing.

"I don't want you in your bedroom all day anymore. You're up there every day. It's not healthy."

"So I can sit here then?"

"No. I want you out of the house. Go hang out with your friends or something."

"I don't have any friends. They all think I'm fat and ugly."

"Riker."

"Ok, I'll go find somewhere to go..."

"Thank you."

I went back upstairs. I changed into dark blue skinny jeans and a black long sleeved shirt. I put on my converse, and then went downstairs. Mom had given me my phone back. I walked out the front door, and down the street.

I went to the park. I could've gone to the ice cream place, but I didn't want to gain any more weight.

I sat down in the grass by a tree. I pulled my knees to my chest, and hugged them to me. I didn't know why, but I felt kind of nervous being here. I was all alone, and I felt vulnerable. What if Ross showed up!?

Before I knew it, I was trembling. I'd gotten myself all worked up, and I couldn't breathe. I covered my face with my hands, and just tried to calm down. My attempts at deep breaths were all shaky.

"Hey, are you ok?"

I peeked out between my fingers. A girl about my age was standing a few feet in front of me.

"I'll take that as a no."

She sat down next to me, and put her arm lightly around my shoulder. I burst into tears, but I didn't know why.

"Hey. It's ok."

She moved a little closer to me, and pulled me into a hug. After a few minutes, I got control of myself again, and calmed down. I leaned back against the tree, and stared down, feeling embarrassed.

"So... Do you want to tell me your name?"

"R-Riker," I whispered.

"Cool name. I'm Paige."

I wiped the tears off my cheeks, and winced slightly, still feeling the pain from when I got punched at the water park.

"So are you ok now?" Paige asked.

I nodded, still not looking up.

"Hey. You don't need to be embarrassed. Everybody has their moments."

I finally looked up, and met her eyes. She had bright green eyes and straight blonde hair. She looked so friendly and sweet. And... kind of cute.

"Do you want to talk about anything?" Paige asked.

"N-no. I c-can't."

"Ok. Well maybe you want to go somewhere. Get your mind off of whatever's bothering you."

I nodded. Paige smiled, and held her hand out to me. I took it, and we started walking. She led me to the stupid ice cream place.

"What flavor do you want?" Paige asked.

I gave in, and told her cookie dough. She bought 2 ice creams, and then sat down across from me at the table. She handed me my bowl of ice cream and a spoon.