The Ring

II. The Ring

After about a year and a half of dating, I went to the Andrews' house and asked for The Professor's blessing to propose to Phoebe. I nervously pulled up to the driveway and parked. I stepped out of the car, walked up to the house, and knocked on the door. The Professor answered the door. "Nero! How are you?"

"I'm great Professor. Do you have a minute?" "Sure. What do you need?" he asked as we both walked into the living room. We stopped, and there was a small, awkward silence before I asked. "Professor, I came over because..." I stumbled over my words, but finally they all seemed to just spew out of my mouth at the same time. "Sir, as you know I am abundantly in love with your daughter, and I want to ask her to marry me, but I can only do that with your blessing." Another awkward silence, but this time it was long and drawn out. 

"Nero... A father dreams of the day he will walk his little girl down the isle. As you know, that day brings a father both joy and pain. It would bring me even greater joy and even ease the pain if I could hand Phoebe off to a man with the heart and passion that you do. Nero, of course you can have my blessing."

"YES!" I had never smiled so big in my life. I never had a reason to until now. I embraced The Professor, uncaring as to whether he wanted me to or not. "Thank you, sir! Thank you! Thank you!"

"Under one condition," he said. I let go of him and looked him in the eyes. I could see death in his eyes, but not his death. Mine... "If you ever, ever, do anything to hurt my daughter, you're not only fired, but I'll make sure that you wish you were never born." "Of course, Professor." I said. "And another thing." he said. "Yes sir." "Let me see the ring." I pulled out a small, blue, velvet box out of my pocket and gave it to Professor Andrews. Blue is her favorite color. He opened it and inside was a white gold ring, and in the center was a fairly small diamond. "It's all that I could afford." I was completely nervous now. At that, Phoebe came downstairs. "Well, someone sounds excited!" she said through laughs. The Professor quickly placed the ring in his pocket. 

"Hey guys!" She turned to me. "Nero, I didn't know you were here. Why didn't you call?" "I just came to ask your dad something about work." I replied. "Daddy, you're not pestering him, are you?" said Phoebe. "Of course not, sweetie." said The Professor. "Phoebe," I said, giving a quick glance at The Professor. "What do you say you and I go to the park tomorrow?" Phoebe smiled. "Sure. That sounds fun." 

"Phoebe, could you give us a second?" asked The Professor. By this point, I thought I was going to die. I love The Professor, but if I had to spend one more awkward silence with him, I was going to explode.  "Yes sir." She smiled at me, then walked outside. "Wait here," he said. He turned around and walked up the stairs. I walked around the room. It was a really big house; practically a mansion. I looked out of the window and Phoebe was outside, cloud-watching. She's so quirky. I've always loved that any her. I began to wonder what our wedding would look like. I wondered what she'd look like in a white dress. I imagined the look she'd have on her face add she walks Dien the isle. I'm going to cry when I see her, I thought. I know in going to cry. I cry at everything. I heard footsteps coming back down the stairs. They broke me out of the trance I had put myself in. I turned around and Professor Andrews was coming with something in his hand. 

"Nero, I want you to have this." In his hand, there was a engagement ring. It was white gold with a large aquamarine gem in the center, surrounded by diamonds and detailed swirls and designs. "It was her mother's. The day that my wife died, the police gave it to me. Take it." I began to see his eyes water. "Professor, I couldn't. I know how valuable this ring is to you. I couldn't possibly..." He cut me off. "It wasn't an option! Now take it!" His voice began to quiver as tears rolled down his face. I looked outside and Phoebe was playing with some birds. "Yes sir. I'll take good care of it." I began to walk away. 

"And Nero," I turned around. He had stopped crying, but his eyes still looked a little red. Still, he mustered up a smile and said, "I'll give you the wedding rings when it's time." "Yes sir." And with that, I walked out of the house and made plans for me to pick up Phoebe tomorrow. We talked, made a date, I gave her a hug and kiss goodbye, and I went home.