The Proposal

III. The Proposal

I picked Phoebe up around five o'clock in the afternoon so we could watch the sun set. I pulled up into the driveway and went up to the porch. I rang the doorbell and Professor Andrews answered. "Nero! How are you son?" "I'm doing just fine, Professor. Is Phoebe ready?" "She'll be down in just a minute." He leaned in close. "Do you have the ring?" He asked in a whisper. I pulled the box out of my pocket and showed it to him. "Ok, good. Do you know what you're going to say?" "Yes sir." 

Phoebe started coming down stairs. She was wearing a white sundress with blue flowers on it and around her neck was a gold necklace with a dolphin on it. "You look astonishing." I said. "Thanks. You ready to go?" "Of course." I glanced over at Professor Andrews. We smiled at each other. "Ok then. Let's go." She said as she walked down the stairs. "Bye Daddy." "Goodbye Sweetheart." said The Professor. "You two have a nice time. I have a feeling you will." Professor Andrews was by far the worst liar I had ever seen, but somehow Phoebe didn't notice. I just smiled and laughed. After that, we got in the car and left for the park. 

We arrived at Jesus Green a few minutes later. We just walked around the park and and chatted for a bit. We talked about just about everything there is to talk about: from music to our parents. After a while sat down near the river and watched the sun set, like we planned. Just before the sun met the horizon, I turned to Phoebe. "Phoebe, I have to ask you something." I could tell she got a little worried. "Sure. What's on your mind?" I stood up in front of her, then offered my hand to her. She took it and got up. Then I got down on one knee. She gasped. I reached into my pocket, but she stopped me. "Nero, stop." She said. "I can't do this, not yet, at least" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Nero, I have to show you something." "Okay..." I mean... what else do you say to that. She didn't say "yes", but she didn't say "no" either.