The Assessment: Nala

"Try expanding your wings a bit when you dive." Ares suggested. "Tucking them in makes it harder for you to dive acurately and go between small spaces during a chase."

Your not my mentor yet. Nala groaned. It was the night of the assessment, her big test to decide her position in the Kingdom of Regalia. All the pressure Ares was putting on her didn't help. Not one bit. A flicker of movement in the corner of her eye caught her attention. She let out a series of high pitched squeals and identified it as a cricket. She turned into a dive. The insect saw her and jumped into a tree just as shew fllew above it. I've been tryed this at least three times. I'm gonna make it this time. She glided blindly into a forked tree, and Ares gasped. She pulled up out of the dive, cricket in her claws. Good enough for you? Ares looked at her, his face between disbelief and unsatisfaction.

"Very good for your third try, Nala. We shall eat before the next part of your assessment." How long was this stupid thing going to take? Nala was usually the most well controlled person in her family, but sometimes she lost it. She soared into a nearby birch and began to eat her cricket. ares landed beside her and gave her a look."

"What?" she asked through a mouthful of cricket.

"A hunter brings theirnprey to the colony before taking some from itself." Oh no! Was she going to be a hunter? Hunters were basicially second class in the colony. The only hunter she knew was her older brother, Zarrock. Zarrock has volunteered to take control of the hunter's desicions and her mother and father had agreed. But not trully. She remembered her mother, Luxa, teaching her the concepts of their world. "Hunters are not truely us. They are our servants, simply pleased to hunt." "What about Zarrock mommy?" "He is very brave, and I regret my desicion to let him." Then Luxa had gotten a far away look in her eyes and Nala knew not to push it. But when Nala had told her twin sister, Aurora, she had done right up to Vikus and asked him. Their father had gotten the same look in his that Luxa had. Vikus began to argue with Luxa, just as Zarrock arrived. He had taken them from the cave and explained to them this was not a good subject.

Nala jumped as a black wing hit her in the face.

"Cave to Nala." He teased.