Chapter One

We could all feel the warmth of the blazing fire reflecting back on our damp faces. The moist and sticky sweat that slowly came from beneath our pores. I use the corner of my sleeve to wipe the sweat that was building on my upper lip. My sleeves were becoming frayed and dirty rags that just hung from my arms. The once soft, thick and dark blue dress was now a dirty rag that looked at if it came from the grub bins that sit along the windows of the town houses here in Dijon, Italy. But none of that mattered at the moment. The entire towns focus was directly at a cross that was up in flames and now crumbling from the damage of the fire. And the body of Mrs.Hellen Hampton was no longer recognizable. Accused of practicing Witch Craft, this was the punishment.

All it took was an accusation. There didn't need to be any proof. Just a simple sentence could pour from a villagers mouth. But why Mrs.Hellen? There is no way she of all people could be using Witch Craft. She was our school teacher. One of the most respected and smartest teacher at Lacrouq. She was a fascinating teacher. She had such a vast talent for grammer. She was never the one to have a spelling error. A young woman in her mid twenties with a clear pale face with blue eyes that would shine with happiness even in the midths of pain. Her light brown hair that framed her face perfectly. And her large pink lips fit her smile perfectly. And there was never a day when she didn't reapply her rouge during lunch hours. But no she was nothing. A black burnt figure was now on the ground amongst the flames disfigured and disabled. And it was all for the town to see.