Chapter 3 - The New Baby

• Dedicated to Sontard

A little while later I get a text from Ciera. She wants a picture of the family after the baby is born. I text her back telling her that I will be sure to get a few. I walk into the guest room where Gavin, Avia, Emmi, and Brock are asleep in the fort they made. I walk over to one of the beds and sit on it. It hasn't even been twenty-four hours and my life is completely different, in a good way. I pull out my phone and debate calling Ciera. I don't want to use up her monthly minutes, but I miss her already. I decide to wait until later to call her. It's the end of the month, anyway.

I head to the hospital room and Dad is filling out the adoption papers. They are not as long as I thought they would be. Still, it's pretty long at 12 pages of tiny fonts and lots of words. But it's worth it. He takes a break at around page three and looks at me. "This is the most worthy 12 pages I have filled out in my life. But I need a break," he says, laughing. I laugh too. However, I can't help but wonder how this is gonna work. Six kids living under one roof. When we get back home, we are going to have to buy a bed for me since there are no extra ones around the house. Just the new baby will cost a lot, but a teenager also moving it will be even more. I'm not trying to seem ungrateful if that is how you perceive the way this is going, but my new parents will have a lot of adjusting to do. 

Soon enough Dad goes back to filling out the papers and, with his permission, I head to the smoothie stand a floor down. Gavin wakes up and asks if he can come with me, and Dad says yes. The two of us take the stairs and go to the smoothie stand. Dad has given us $15 and wants us to bring him one back too. We each order a small wildberry smoothie, and Dad wanted a medium strawberry-banana. We are told that there will be a five minute wait, so we sit at one of the tables to wait on them.

When we sit down, I try to think of an ice-breaker to get a conversation going. I don't want to awkwardly sit here with my new brother and not say anything. "So how is this school year going for you?" I ask. It was the least stupid thing in my head. He says, "Pretty good. I have been enjoying it so far. I just hope we get a free day off tomorrow!" I laugh along with him. I hadn't really thought of that. I will be starting high school tomorrow. Back at the orphanage, things went pretty well. Everyone shared a classroom, but each grade level had a certified teacher. This was also paid for by the generous charity that seemed to love us more than anyone else did. We then started talking about what the school is like and how it is for him. He is such a cool kid. I thought he was really cool watching the vlogs, but actually knowing him, I think of him as an ideal little brother. No one can possibly compare to any of these people. They are my family.

Gavin and I head back upstairs with the smoothies to find Mommytard fighting screams and pressing her nurse button. Aunt Kaylie, Aunt Carlie, Avia, and Emmi are on the side of the bed while Dad massages her shoulders. I put Dad's smoothie on the table and go into the room with Gavin. Brock is still sound asleep, but it might not be for long. We hear a loud scream and muffled voices. "The head is out! The head is out!" I hear either Avia or Emmi scream. The door loudly opens, I am guessing the nurse. Gavin and I sit with our ears on the door and try to hear what's happening. Soon enough I can hear a nurse calmly say, "Big pushes, you got this." That was it. I couldn't hear anything else. I lay down on one of the beds and wait for my newest brother to be born. Like I said, it took less than twenty-four hours for my life to become something new. 

About fifteen minutes later, I can hear crying. The baby must have been born! Dad comes to get us to go see it, so we wake up Brock and go to the main room. Let me just say that this baby is the cutest thing ever! His name is Daxton Charles Butler, middle name after Charles Trippy, and I have an instant connection to him. Not only do I love newborns, but we are both the new kids of the family. It'll be interesting to see how things play out. 

After the baby is cleaned and fed and everyone gets situated, the nurse tells Mom that she can't leave until everything is cleared up in the morning. Aunt Kayli tells Dad that she will take us for the night so they can rest. Gavin, Brock, and I will be headed to spend the night with Uncle Casey, Cooper, and Gage. Aunt Kayli and Aunt Carlie will be taking the girls to our house to spend the night. The girls go with Aunt Carlie and the guys go with Aunt Kayli.

On the way to their house, I look out the window to see some of L.A.'s finest sights at night. It's pretty cool to see this at night versus during the day. The car ride is quiet for the most part (besides a few noises from Brock), but I am so invested in the sights I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

We get to Aunt Kayli's house, where Brayli has a bag packed for the night. Gavin, Brock, and I walk in and Brayli walks out. We go in and Uncle Casey gives us a tour of the house. It's pretty nice here, I must say. I love it! Cooper and Gage are waiting for us, so Gavin leads us to their room and we get ready to sleep so we can wake up and see the baby. Brock and Gage play with two action figures quietly while Gavin, Cooper, and I go to sleep for the night. Excitement keeps me up, but soon enough I drift to sleep.