●Chapter: 1

"I am made up of two worlds: one in which I exist to hold everyone together
and the other where I watch myself constantly fall apart."
-K. Piper

Words: 5,336

(Not edited)

●●●●

Everything was a blur. Like an artist had ruined a perfect wet painting by the swipe of his hand pressed against the art board. Even though it was ruined, it was something that people wanted to figure out. What was the painting? Why was it ruined? Who ruined it? And those questions was what made people more attracted to it. It was always something mysterious that had always caught someones eye.

And then they would make a goal. Find out before anyone else.

I once had that goal, but that goal was towards myself. I was that painting. The painting of a beautiful blue sky and tall trees that had humming birds living in them. They would sing, the wind would dance, and the sky wouldn't change a color, and beautiful flowers.

Then I was ruined.

The leaves were mixed in with the sky, the tree bark had blended with the ground and the sky, the humming birds, nothing but a mixed color that ran across the board, and the flowers, nothing but a color.

The painting was never fixed. No one dared to try and paint it again. It would never be as perfect as the first one. They had already knew.

The artist was gone.

The painting was ruined.

I was left to fix myself. I had to pick up the paintbrush, had to choose the right colors, and paint what was once right.

I was staring at the french toast that was covered in cornflakes. It laid on a white circular glass plate. I wasn't hungry, but I knew that if I skipped breakfast and went off to school with Abel, I would end up wanting food in the middle of first period.

It was a rainy day. I could hear the rain dropping beats on the porch and hitting the windows. I wasn't a fan of rain as much as some were. I didn't enjoy mud or getting wet whenever I had straightened my hair that day, "Thank you for the food Mrs. Evans." I had slept over at Abel's home. Last night we had watched a movie, but fell asleep before it had ended.

Abel was asleep on the couch with his limbs spread out carelessly. His scruffy dark brown hair had fallen over his forehead. Meanwhile, I had woken up on the carpeted floor, my rippled brunette hair scattered, and a crumpled blanket that covered my waist and down.

The brown coffee table was covered in empty wrappers and chip bags and a big green plastic bowl that only had popcorn kernels left.

"It's not a problem dear, you're welcome anytime." Mrs. Evans was Abel's mom. He had her glacier blue eyes, but didn't have the blonde hair that she did. He'd gotten his dark brown hair from his father who had passed away a few years back, "You can take the food up to his room if you like." She grinned down at me and I smiled before muttering a 'thank you' I picked up the plate and exited the kitchen.

His home was a second home to me. I had been coming over to his since I was nine and he was ten. I began sleeping over when I was twelve and my mom realized that nothing was going on between us. My mom and his mom were good friends and even knew each other during their high school years, but they didn't talk that much to keep in contact with each other.