Chapter 1

"SELEEEENAAAA!!" My mom yelled from downstairs. I was up in my room drawing pictures of flowers. "WHAAAAT?" I yelled back. "COME DOWN HERE!" I rolled my eyes. "WHY?!" "BECAUSE!!" She yelled louder.

I continued drawing. "SEEEELLLEEEEENAAA!!!!" She screamed. "COMING!" I ran downstairs immediately. "What do you need?" I asked her, noticing a man in the house. "I would like you to meet mr. Carter" mom said, pointing to the man.

"Umm.. Hi" I gave him a weird look.

"Mr. Carter is the headmaster of Leighton Corner," said mom with a fake smile. Leighton Corner this really expensive boarding school that mom wants me to go to. Everyone there is super prim and proper, with British accents and rich fathers. NOT my cup of tea!

"Mom..." I said quietly, staring at her. "Shh!"

"Mr. Carter would like to say something to you." Said mom, gesturing for him to speak. "Thank you ms. Blue! Now, Selena, We have taken a look at your SAT scores, and we were IMPRESSED! We would love to give you a full ride scholarship to Leighton Corner!"

Full ride? What?!? If it's all paid for, I would HAVE to go! How could I back down? I looked at mom. She stood smiling at Mr. Carter... A little too long. It was kind of creepy.

Mr. Carter gave me a handshake. "We hope you'll join us!" Then he walked over to mom and gave her a hug. "Ummm...." I said. Mom gasped. "Sorry Stephen- I mean Mr. Carter!" She gave him an awkward handshake, then he left.

"Mom, WHAT WAS THAT?!?" I asked her. "Nothing..." "Obviously not nothing!" I yelled, "You just gave the headmaster of Leighton corner a hug and called him by his first name! Don't even let me begin on the awkward staring!"

"Can we talk about that later?" She asked, walking away. "No mom! We can't!" I said. "What was that?"

  "Nothing!" She said again. "Mom, Please don't lie to me."

  She took a deep breath and began speaking. "Stephen and I have been seeing each other." "Ewww!" I yelled. "Selena, don't be childish," she scolded me.

"What I need for you to do right now is start packing for your new school!"

"No! What I'm going to do right now is take a walk!" I slammed the door behind me. Then I took a few deep breaths and began walking. Nature always calmed me down. I loved the chirping of the birds, and the smell of freshly cut grass.

I walked up to 7-11 and bought an icee. "Blue raspberry, huh?" Said a voice behind me. It was a girl's voice. I turned around to face a girl who was about my height, with brown hair that was pulled up in a ponytail. "Yeah," I said, "It's my favorite!"

"Mine too!" She said. She quickly bought a cup and came back by me to fill it up. "I'm Ava."

"Selena," I replied. "Do you live around here?" "Yeah, I live right around the corner." My eyes lit up. "Me too!"

  "No way!" She said, "We should hang out some time!" "Yeah!" I agreed. "Next week okay?" "Ugghh!" She groaned, "I can't. I'm going to this summer camp called camp Everest and I won't be back for six weeks!"

  "Wow! That's a long time!" I said. "What do you do there?" "Well... Pretty much what you'd expect. We play games, have competitions, swim, campfires, the usual."

  It sounded like so much fun! "Everyday?" "Yup!" She nodded. "You should sign up! It would be fun! And you could share a cabin with me and my friends!" "I will!" I said, "Wait- my mom would never let me go."

  "Just ask her," she said, "You might be surprised."

  We talked a little bit longer, then I left. When I got home, I walked up to my room and turned on my laptop. I went on Google and searched up Camp Everest. After some research, I found out that there is a $900 fee, and that the camp started a week later! Then I printed out a flier and walked downstairs.

  "Mom!" I yelled. She walked in. "Yes?" I was really nervous. "What do you need?" She asked me. I stayed silent. "Selena?"

  I took a deep breath. "So when I was taking a walk I met a girl named Ava and she told me that there is a camp called Camp Everest and it's really fun and I want to go and I know you want me to go to Leighton Corner but that's what you want not what I want and I feel like I need a break from everything that's happened so it would be really really really really really awesome if-" "Selena!" My mom shouted, "I didn't hear a word of that! Please say it again, slowly."

  "Okay, So this girl, Ava, told me about this camp. It's called camp Everest and it would be a great way to get my mind off of things." I handed her the flier.

  "Sure," she said like it was no big deal.

  "What?" I asked, "Just like that? What about Leighton Corner?" Mom smiled and gave me a hug. "You're right. It would be a great way to get your mind off of everything that's happened. You need to smile once in awhile." "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!" I exclaimed, jumping up and down.

  I ran upstairs and began packing. It was going to be a great summer!