Chapter 15

"We've contacted Dr. Leland and Ricky Sorkin – they should be here any minute," said Commissioner Gordon, putting the phone down. "You feeling up to answering some questions?"

"No," muttered Harleen, keeping her eyes fixed on the floor. "I don't wanna talk about it."

Commissioner Gordon was silent. "Dr. Quinzel, I understand this is very difficult," he said. "It must have been horrible being in that monster's clutches. But the only way he can be punished for what he's done is if you tell me..."

"Tell you what?" demanded Harleen, glaring up at him.

"Tell me...what he did to you," stammered Gordon, surprised. "Batman said he found you naked and handcuffed to the bed..."

"Batman shouldn't have been breaking and entering in the first place," growled Harleen. "When are you cops gonna do your job properly and arrest that maniac instead of being complicit in the workings of a criminal?! Because that's what he is – a criminal! He has no authority to do what he does, beating people to within an inch of their life because he gets some perverse thrill out of it! But because the people he attacks are supposedly bad, and because he doesn't kill them, he can do whatever the hell he wants to them, isn't that right, Commissioner?! You'll turn a blind eye to all of it as long as he keeps attacking the right kind of people?!"

Commissioner Gordon nodded slowly. "I can't say I'm particularly outraged when Batman chooses to target a convicted murderer and now a rapist..."

"A what?" demanded Harleen.

"Uh...a rapist," he stammered. "Your sexual assault is evidence of..."

"My sexual assault?!" repeated Harleen, angrily. "The Joker did not sexually assault me!"

"Forgive me, Dr. Quinzel, Dr. Leland tells me you have a history of repression, but the evidence points to a sexual encounter between..."

"It was consensual!" shouted Harleen. "Is that so hard for you to believe?!"

"Uh...yes," said Gordon, slowly. "You're a respectable doctor, a rational, intelligent woman in a happy relationship, or so I've been told. I don't see what could have possessed you to consent to sexual intercourse with...that thing unless he was threatening you in some way..."

"That thing is a man!" shrieked Harleen. "A living, breathing, feeling man! A man I love, Commissioner!"

Gordon cleared his throat. "Look, I'm no shrink, but I was speaking to Dr. Leland about the...incident, and she says sometimes people who are...ashamed of what happened to them...convince themselves that they are responsible for their trauma in some way. I don't like to contradict your statement, but you do have this history of repression, so maybe you're lying to yourself about what actually happened in order to cope with the pain and humiliation of being..."

"Shut up!" shrieked Harleen, standing up. "Shut up, shut up, shut up! You don't know what you're talking about! I'm a psychiatrist, and I'm telling you you're wrong! You know nothing about me!"

"Then why don't you tell me why a psychiatrist such as yourself would voluntarily engage in sexual intercourse with a homicidal madman?" asked Gordon.

"I told you!" she hissed. "I love him!"

"What's to love?" he asked.

"Harley, there you are!" exclaimed Ricky, racing into the office just as Harleen was about to unleash a torrent of abuse at Commissioner Gordon. Ricky hugged her tightly. "Oh my God, I was so worried! Are you ok? What..."

"Let go of me," snapped Harleen, shoving him away.

"Harley..." he said, surprised.

"She's been through a very traumatic experience, Mr. Sorkin," said Gordon, gently. "She might be reluctant to be touched for some time. There's evidence of a...erm...sexual assault."