Chapter 12: Luke In The Middle

Addi’s POV

I make it upstairs, only being stopped by Lily.

            “Where’d you disappear to last night?” she asks as I continue into my room. We both flop on the bed.

            “Um well I kinda sorta quite possible was having sex with Calum…” I ramble out. Her eyes go big and her mouth forms an O shape.

            “You totally like him!” I scoff at her and stand to walk to my closet to change. This sounds exactly like the lecture I just got from Ashton.

            “No, I don’t!” I call from inside.

            “You do! This is like what, the second time you’ve slept with him?!”

            “So?” I question coming out wearing a pair of sweatpants and a jumper. “The first time was out of anger, and we were both so drunk last night!” I defend.

            “Right. Well it took me and Michael six months before we were in love and sure we wanted to have sex…”

            “Are you calling me a whore?” I laugh.

“No! That’s not what I meant! I just mean when your brain knows what it wants, your body takes over. Your brain clearly wants Calum!”

“All that is too much for my brain! I need to sleep before my stupid tutor thing.” Without another word Lily goes back to her room. I set an alarm and wake up two hours later to actually get ready. I pull on a pair of leggings, a red zip up jumper, and a jean vest over. Not feeling like dealing with my mess of hair I throw it up in a cute messy bun. I grab my backpack and start the walk to the Starbucks I’m supposed to meet some guy named Luke at. I walk in and scan the place. My eyes land on an extremely tall blonde boy with a quiff, and it hits me.

“Luke?”

“Addi? Oh are you the one I’m meant to tutor?”

“I guess so. I didn’t know Mrs. Hemmings is your mom!” I really did not see this coming.

“Yea she is.” We stand in awkward silence. “Um I guess we should get to work?” Luke offers.

“Right, that’s why we’re here after all. Pick a spot and I’ll be there in a sec I need coffee after last night!”

“Yea you had a fun night,” he jokes. Oh god everyone knows by now. After getting my large coffee I find him at a back table with books out already. We sit there for at least two hours while he tries to explain algebra to me. “Ok, you’re really close! But I think that is enough brain power wasted on maths for now!” he smiles creating a dimple in his left cheek.

“Agreed!” We both start to pack up our stuff. “Hey Luke are you going to tell Calum you’re tutoring me?”

“Not if you don’t want me to.”

“Can you not?”

“Yeah, can I just ask why though?”

“I don’t know. I guess I just don’t want to deal with how he could react? You know what, fuck it. I don’t care how he reacts! Tell him.” I change my mind. Calum is barely even my friend; I’m not going to let him get to me.

“Alright then!” Luke laughs.

“You’re pretty cool for a nerd!” I tease.

“Is that so? So you don’t hate me?” he fakes shock.

“Ha ha.” I say dryly. “So same time next week?”

“Yep! My house though, I don’t wanna keep dealing with people!”

“Will there be coffee?” I ask hopefully.

“I can make that happen! Here give me your number and I’ll text you the address.” I pull out the white IPhone the Logan’s bought me. I told them I really didn’t need it, I mean I have no friends to call. They insisted though. I hand Luke the phone as he hands me his and I type in my name and number. Before we leave I stand on my tiptoes and give him a hug.

“Thanks Luke. I know I’m difficult.”  

Calum’s POV

“Let’s start over” I strike the last chord to Out of My Limit. I wrote the song about two months ago, it’s one of our only original songs right now.

            “I gotta go guys, Harry’s got a game today!” Ash grabs his stuff and leaves the finished band practice.

            “See ya later mate!”

            “And I’ve got a date with Lily!” Mikey also leaves.

            “You wanna do some more writing?” I ask Luke.

            “Yea man.” We first grab a bunch of food, the first step in writing sessions. I take my writing journal out and instinctively bite the end of my pen. After hours of only a little progress on one song, I give up for the day.

            “How was the tutoring thing yesterday?”

            “It was good,” is all he says. But he keeps his eyes on the floor.

            “Who was it with?” I ask out of curiosity.

            “Uhh well don’t kill me, but it’s Addi…”

            “Oh. Are you tutoring her again?”

            “Yeah, once a week until her grade goes up.” Inside I want to punch his lights out, but I keep my face what I hope to be straight and indifferent.

            “Cool, well I hope you are able to help her.” God that sounded so lame.

            “You’re not mad?” Luke raises his eyebrows at me.

            “Nah! Why would I be? She’s allowed to spend time with people. Besides I don’t even like her.” To which Luke’s expression changes giving me a you are so full of shit look. “What? I don’t!” I’m not really sure if I’m trying to convince him or myself.