The Awakening

Chell stared up at the glowing white panel on the wall. A big 7 was placed in the middle of the screen, with smaller numbers in the corner displaying chamber 7 out of 19. On the bottom of the screen were multiple images of dangers that could presence in the test chamber.  With a long suffering sigh of knowing that she had so much more tests to go, Chell entered the room, only to be greeted, once again, by Wheatley's chipper voice.

''Hey! Oi oi! I'm up here! Oh, brilliant. You did find a portal gun! You know what? It just goes to show: people with brain damage are the real heroes in the end aren't they? At the end of the day.'' He backed up a little and nudged towards the wall on the other side of the room. ''Pop a portal on that wall behind me there, and I'll meet you on the other side of the room.''

Chell did just that and jumped through the orange portal to her right. She looked up at the robot who hang above her on his management rail, that seemed to be broken now that she had a closer look. ''Okay, listen, let me lay something on you here. It's pretty heavy. They told me never never ever to disengage myself from my management rail. Or I would die. But we're out of options here. So... get ready to catch me, alright, on the off chance that I'm not dead the moment I pop off this thing.''

He took a deep breath like a human as to prepare himself. ''On three. Ready? One... Two...  THREE!'' But he backed up, his optic had shrunk into a little blue dot,  shaking rapidly in fright. ''No, that's high. That's too high, isn't it, really... Alright, going on three just gives you too much time to think about it. Let's, uh, go on one this time. Okay, ready?''

Chell watched in amusement as Wheatley tried to convince himself to disengage himself from the rail, when another one of those weird memories came into her mind. The world around her seemed to be freeze in time as she dazed off. Her vision was a little blurry what made it hard for her to make out what she was seeing, a big shadow that towered over her, a familiar blue light shown down as a voice echoed through her mind.  And another thing! You never caught me. I told you I could die falling off that rail. And you didn't catch me. You didn't even try!

''ONE! Catchmecatchmecatchme'' In a fraction of a second Chell dropped her portal gun and leaped forward, catching the core in her arms. She looked down at Wheatley who stared back at her. ''You.... You caught me. Oh, that was, good, good job there. You got quite the grip, really, such reaction. Nice timing. We really are a team aren't we?''

Chell smiled weakly in response. She hadn't noticed she was glaring at him with a blank stare until he spoke again with an uncomfortable tone. ''The Portal device, you, you dropped it. Yeah there, behind you. On the floor.'' Chell turned around and looked down at the gun. She hadn't even noticed she'd dropped it. With Wheatley in one arm, she picked it up.

''Hey, could you plug me into that stick on the wall over there. Yeah? And I'll show you something. You'll be impressed by it.'' He nudged towards the wall on the other side of the room where a small panel opened up. The device inside had the perfect form for a core of Wheatley's size, she put him inside and he plucked himself in. Chell waited impatiently for him to do something and he looked up at her.

''Ummmm. Yeah, I can't do it if you're watching. Seriously, I'm not joking. Could you just turn around for a second?''

She put her hand on her hip, not planning on moving anywhere. Was he serious? ''Okay. Listen. I can't do it with you watching. I know it seems pathetic, given what we've been through. But just turn around. Please?'' Chell sighed and rolled her eyes, but did as he asked. A few beeps and clicks could be heard behind her before the wall next to her opened like a secret door. Wheatley laughed in triumph. '' BAM! Secret panel! That I opened. While your back was turned. Just pick me up and let's get out of here.''