Young Love

The late afternoon sun shone a dim orange that reflected off the tops of the trees and tinged the whole forest in a warm glow. It was mid-fall in Virginia and the forest was already awash with the yellows and browns that made the people of Alexandria believe that life could continue.

In the half-light of dusk, Carl and Enid ran deeper and deeper into the forest. They had run so far that they could no longer see the high walls of their home and they could no longer hear the dreadful gnarls and snarls of the walkers that meandered around the outer perimeter. Now all thoughts were turned towards each other.

Running hand in hand their galloping feet kicked up the soft autumn leaves. The leaves lay so thick that they came up past their ankles and as their feet sank in each time, they had to jump pulling each other along with all the joy and happiness they thought had been forgotten since the end of the world.

Carl let go of Enid's hand and ran on ahead. Enid giggled and skipped through the thick leaves and tried to catch him up.

"Hey! Slow down!" she cried outstretching her arms trying to grab a hold of his plaid shirt . Just as she was about to wrap her fist around his collar, Carl made a sharp turn and dodged out of the way. His cowboy hat flew off. He reached down to get it when Enid snuck up behind him and jumped on his back.

"Got you now, Sheriff Grimes!" she said draping her arms over his shoulders and bringing them softly around his neck.

"Oh yeah?" Carl replied with a smirk. "Looks like I've got you!"

Carl took hold of her thighs and jolted her up so he could balance her weight better in a piggyback position. Enid squealed and lightly slapped the back of Carl's shoulder. Carl started to run with Enid on his back going faster and faster until almost losing his balance. Enid gasped as they both tilted towards the ground.

"Stop running so fast, Carl." she said in a panic.

Carl laughed as he regained his balance and slowed down to a brisk walking pace.

Enid felt a lot more comfortable now and she relaxed nestling her head next to his. She smoothed her fingers over his face moving them over to the rough white bandage that covered his right eye. Carl grimaced when she touched it. He had been sensitive about ever since he was shot that night by Ron.

Enid thought about Ron a lot too. In the month after the walker invasion and during the cleanup of Alexandria, Enid had been there by Carl's side holding his hand and praying for his recovery. Looking at Carl lying prone on the bed with wrapped in bandages, she just couldn't believe that Ron had done this. She had hardly imagined the day that she stormed out of Alexandria that she would return to such a nightmare.

She hated Ron now. She was glad he was dead.

Each day after the cleanup and as Carl got back on his feet, Enid spent more and more time within the walls working with Denise and making sure Carl was all right.

Enid looked across at Carl who was staring directly in front of him. She knew he was thinking the same. He didn't often say speak his feelings, he was often strong and silent and would do anything to protect her. He was so different to Ron.

"You can put me down now." Enid said stroking the side of his cheek.

Carl ignored her request, jolted her up again and walking faster until they were in the practically lost in the middle of the forest.

"Why are we out here?" Enid asked.

"It's better than being in there sometimes." Carl replied. "You know that. I never forgot what you told me, 'Just Survive Somehow'. Real life is out here. There are no walkers in this forest, no saviours threatening our lives. It's just us surviving. This is as good as life can be right now, don't you think?"