A Quick Romance

A Quick Romance

Nicholas was leaving in two weeks, I thought as I walked down the street to my house, and I can't do anything about it. I can't try to talk him out of it, I can't try to talk to his parents to convince him not to go, I can't even beg him! Why? Well the thing that hurts the most is that I am probably just a neighbor to him.

        I bet you don't understand what I'm rambling about. To give you a little background, my name is Catherine Waters, and I live in the small town of Aldrich. I am sixteen years old, and I have had this huge crush on Nicholas Patterson since we were thirteen. I wasn't planning on it, really, but at that time I became depressed after a close cousin died in an accident. Then it seemed as if Nicholas was an angel sent to me after he helped me get back on my feet by talking to me everyday and making me laugh every time we were together. However, by the time that I was back to normal, he just...drifted away and stopped talking to me again.

        I admit, his sudden coldness disappointed me, but the small crush I had on him never ceased. Not even one moment. There was just this one remarkable detail that made me amused every time I thought about it. See, Nicholas used to be this really dorky kid, who always had his head in the books. Along with that, he wore these...ridiculous Harry Potter-ish glasses with braces, and his dark curly hair stuck out in all places. However, after my depression episode, when he had drifted away, he threw away all nerdiness and got rid of the braces and glasses. Now he's this really gorgeous boy with dark curly hair and gorgeous brown eyes. Aside from that, he managed to be the most handsome, the smartest, and the most disciplined guy in the whole school. Perfect guy, really. And as expected, every girl had a huge crush on him. But I was the original crush-er, a title that I was proud of.

        Back to the present, my thoughts were interrupted when my feet unconsciously brought me to Nicholas' house. I gazed at the white picket fences, the perfectly mowed lawn, and to the porch where Mrs. Patterson sat on a chair, her eyebrows scrunched as she struggled to read a book resting on her lap. My eyes drifted to Nicholas' room's window, maybe hoping that I would see him there. Instead of him, I was able to see a stack of thick books and a couple of picture frames. I sighed wistfully, then turned to go home. However, before I could take a step, Mrs. Patterson lifted her eyes from her book and spotted me.

        "Catherine, dear!" She called out to me. I turned around and greeted her back. Mrs. Patterson was one of my friends, and I had done a few favors for her when I was younger. "Are you here to say goodbye to Nicholas?"

        "Uhm...yeah." I couldn't exactly let her think that I was stalking her son, could I?

        "Oh! A lot of teenagers have passed by to say goodbye as well. I didn't know my Nicholas was so popular!" Mrs. Patterson laughed.

        Yes, Mrs. Patterson. Did you know your son is perfect?

        "Yup! He sure is!" I laughed with her. Please hurry up Mrs. Patterson. I have to go back to my drama.

        "Well, he's not here at the moment. You can come back later, but I seem to have a dilemma here. Are you doing anything dear? See, I think I left my favourite coat on the bench by the lake last night when I stopped by. Could you see if it's still there?"