Chapter Three

Sawanay kneeled down beside the dog, and softly placed a hand against the dog's side. The fur was just barely warm, and she didn't hear it breath. She lowered her ear to the dog's chest, and to her relief, she still heard a heartbeat, loud and clear through the silence.

She wanted to help the dog, but had no idea how. Maybe the "Eskimos" will know how to heal an injured animal, Sawanay thought hopefully. Carefully, she slipped a hand under the husky's head and her other hand under its back and bottom. Trying not to get blood on her clothes, she picked up the dog, suddenly realizing that it was much heavier than it looked.

Sawanay stumbled a few times, but finally got a good hold on the husky, and cradling it in her arms, carried to where the four men sat. They didn't glance in her direction, so she cleared her throat loudly to catch their attention. One looked over their shoulder and looked surprised to see the dog in her arms.

Sawanay crouched down next to the man and looked down at the husky. It still looked young, and its eyes were closed. It's mouth was partially opened, and the tip of a limp, pink tongue poked out from between two sharp teeth. Sawanay guessed that it was a baby, but she was definitely not a dog expert. If anyone knew anything about dogs, it would be the Eskimos.

"Can you save him?" she asked, glad to be actually speaking.

Of corse, the man didn't reply by speaking but instead, scooped up the dog out of Sawanay's arms and held him in his lap while he shuffled around in a sack. Sawanay peered over the man's shoulder, trying to see what he was doing. The man searched around for a while until he finally took something out. Sawanay couldn't tell what it was, so she scooted over.

She gasped.

The Eskimo was holding a sharply carved stone spear head, which she recognized as the tools they used for stabbing animals.

He was trying to kill the husky!