Don't Tell My Boyfriend

Chapter One: Home Sweet Home

“THERE SHE IS!” My best friend Kayla hollered over the thunderous noise of the airport as she pointed a well-manicured finger at me. Luke stood next to her, a looking a little bewildered by her voice. My step-brother Tyler laughed as I walked up to them grinning.

“I’ve missed you, babe” Luke mumbled between kissing me. I giggled as I inhaled his cologne. “I’ve missed you too.” I whispered.

“Luke! Stop hogging her!” Tyler protested jokingly. I turned around and gave him a massive hug. “I’ve missed you too.” I laughed.

Kayla was already stuffing a magazine in my face. “Mallory! Look at that! I have to get those! And..” She flipped through a few pages. “Look at that new miu miu bag! They’ll go perfect with my gucci jacket-” She babbled. I interrupted her and gave her a hug. “I’ve missed you so much Kay!” I told her. She looked a little taken back, but then she smiled and squeezed me back. “You have no idea how much i’ve missed you.”

Suddenly, a fifth person walked towards us and I looked to see who it was when my heart froze. No. It couldn’t be. It wouldn’t be. But it was. His mess of dirty blonde hair and blue eyes weren’t unfamiliar to me. Neither was that cocky smile on his face.

“Guys, this is Kai. He’s my cousin from London, and he’s going to stay here for a year.” Tyler introduced, smiling. 

“He’s hot!” Kayla whispered excitedly in my ear.

I forced a smile on my face.

“He looks like a jerk.” I said, loud enough so everyone could hear. 

I heard Luke’s chest rumble as he laughed and wrapped an arm around my waist. “So I’m guessing your not interested in him?” He mumbled jokingly as he kissed my forehead. I blushed - mainly of guilt.

“Mallory.” Kay said softly, his dazzling blue eyes boring into my green eyes. I shuffled a little closer to Luke and grabbed his hand. “Kai.” I said softly, not daring to look at him.

“D’you guys know each other?” Tyler demanded, his gaze shifting from Kai to me. I didn’t dare look at him - or Luke. 

“Yeah, Mallory.” I looked up to see Kai speaking, his eyes with that arrogant cockiness to it. “Do we know each other?” Everyone turned to me.

“Um..uh..” I stuttered. “I..I met him in London during my art course. He worked at the art museum.” At least that was still party true.

“You worked at the art museum?” Tyler asked incredulously. “Of all jobs, the art museum?!” 

Kai looked at me and I begged him with my eyes. It wouldn’t kill him to help me right? Just. This. Once. He raised an eyebrow. I held my breath.

“I met her during her art course at the museum. It’s the biggest museum in London.” Kai flashed a smile. I prayed that Tyler was thick enough to not realize that Kai hadn’t actually answered his question. Fortunately for me, his answer was good enough for Tyler.

“Cool.” He grinned. “This is Kayla” He nudged her and she stuck out her hand awkwardly. He shook it, and I watched him shoot her a wink. Jerk.“and this is Luke, Mallory’s boyfriend.” I grimaced at Tyler’s heavy emphasis on his last word.  At least Luke didn’t mind. He grinned at Kai and gave him a fist bump. 

The car ride back home was even worse than standing across to Kai. Mainly because Tyler insisted that I should sit next to Luke because he was my boyfriend and he missed me a lot. Honestly, I’m positive he just wanted to hit on Kayla. That wasn’t as bad as it sounded, but of course, three people had to sit at the back. Kai climbed into the car first, and Luke led my into the car, but then I stopped when I realized who I had to sit next to. Luke hates the middle seat. He finds it uncomfortable for his long legs, but I would rather die than sit next to Kai which pissed Luke off.