Pre-Chapter

I stepped off the bus with my head held high.

"Have a nice summer!" The bus driver yelled before slamming the doors shut and speeding off.

I made my way to my house, just a short walk from where my bus drops me off. The rest of the kids pushed and shoved each other running home. I on the other hand remained a steady pace, not stooping to the immaturity of an elementary schooler. I was now a high schooler. I was now a big kid. It was time for me to start acting like one.

I stopped in front of my yard and opened the old green mailbox, and grabbing the mail.

I made my way through my yard and up the small porch. Opening the door I was immediately greeted by Tabby, barking and jumping on me like a left for a decade. I bent down and patted her head before taking off my shoes.

"How was your last day of school darling?" My mom asked at her usual seat in the living room, her feet propped up.

"It was great, I ended up with eight awards, one more than last year!" I grinned like the Cheshire Cat.

"Good job sweetie," clearly uninterested she returned to whatever she was reading before.

I set down my bag and went looking for a snack. I settled for a bag of baby carrots and ranch, then went to my room to enjoy.

I sat down on my fresh white sheets and going through my notifications on my phone. Most were from YouTube subscriptions, and post notifications from Instagram, but a single message came from one of my best friends Harley.

I wasn't very popular at school. Not many people even knew I existed. When I was called in class most students looked around trying to figure out who 'Allison' was. But I was okay with that. I had 3 friends who were basically my sisters, I knew I could count on them no matter what, and for that I was lucky. I wasn't an outcast, I was just often overlooked.

Do you want to hang out? My house. -H

I jumped up and stuck my head out my door. "Mom! Can I spend the night at Harley's?"

She grunted a yes without lifting her eyes from her book.

"Will you drive me?"

"Wait for your dad." That was always her answer. I went back to my room, texted Harley the news, and started packing.

Harley was different my other two friends, Hope and Skylar. Harley was my favorite. I wanted to be a little bit more like her. She was a little bit of a rebel. She snuck out from time to time. She knew how to talk to boys. She was friends with people who were popular, but she wasn't part of the popular group.

Soon enough my dad returned from wherever he was and I texted Harley that I was on my way.

>>><<<>>><<<