humans

His father once told him that the secret was hidden within the walls. Daedalus, clever man was he, invented the ultimate labyrinth. The enormity of the maze was sheer. Fifty-feet tall walls of endless stone zig-zagged and curved behind every corner.  With walls moving every night, it was impossible for a beast like the Minotaur to escape. Having the body of a bull and the head of a man, the Minotaur was a dangerous creation that had to be bound. Only Daedalus knew the secret within the walls. The pattern once revealed, ended trapping him and his son inside.

________________________________________________________

An hour rested till daybreak. Already, the night bared streaks of day. The morning air was cool, crisp with scents of the Mediterranean Sea.  Though, it was the scent of mystery lingering that called to me. I saw a boy and his father. A father and his son. Icarus and Daedalus. Working on the run.

Now usually, the two would not stir for many hours to come.  The sun would rise to its highest point in the sky before it became too unbearingly hot to go unnoticed. Yet today, curious and curioser, the duo worked slavishly away in the dark. 

I watched for quite sometime before a realization hit me, though it came as no surprise when I began to see it clear. Duo usually means two. And slavishly is a word defining hard work. But the longer I peered the more obvious it became. The boy was not part of the duo nor was he breaking a sweat. From a human’s eye it would appear he was, but nothing surpasses me. The boy was all pretend, like many I’ve seen before. Engrossed and absorbed in no other than himself, the boy feigned interest for anything else. 

Upon dawn their work was complete. Or rather, the father’s work was complete. Hiding in the shadow against the vine covered walls, I gazed at the contraptions the boy and father held. They were identical, both in structure and size. While the father momentarily lay down to close his eyes, invention resting against him, the son buzzed beside in fervor. Wide-eyed he stroked the masterpiece, the work of many years. Though I tell you, the boy thought he’d have done better. His would have been bigger, lighter and stronger. But for the moment he wouldn’t mind claiming the wings his own.

Watching the pair, I knew why I was there. Honestly, I’m always attracted to the scent of it. The aroma, it engulfs me, it fills me to my core. A devastating outcome was to occur, and I had an inkling for whom.

The sun, still rising, illuminated the sky from grey to gold. It’s going to be a beautiful day I thought. But then again, not for all.   

______________________________________________________

Forgive me, perhaps it is important to explain how the father and son got into this situation. How the pair, ended up stuck in a labyrinth the father essentially created. 

It began years ago. Daedalus, architect, sculpture, inventor and first King of Athens, fell slave to human flaw. I always thought emotions were unnecessary. Slave to them the humans are. Control them, or be controlled. Though they’re temporary, I’ve made many friends with those they’ve destroyed. It was only a matter of time before Daedalus too, fell victim to his emotions.

Respected and revered artisan was he, Daedalus could make men from mud. Nothing was quite like it! With dirt and water, his hands produced sculptures unlike any other. His works were literally full of life! At the final touch, the sculptures would move freely of their own accord. Somehow, Daedalus made them come alive! It was inexplicable.

But when his nephew Thalus proved to be a promising apprentice, a single seed of jealousy planted itself deep inside his heart. Daedalus went paranoid trying to keep his powerful position. Unable to stand the thought of being second best, the seed grew bigger and stronger with each day, until finally, a flower blossomed.

Blinded by jealousy, conceivably the most dangerous emotion of all, Daedalus committed a spiteful crime. Out out, it was for Thalus, whose life was cut short by Daedalus.

Eagerly, I caught Thalus as he fell. He lives with me now. On the other hand, Daedalus was no longer the man everyone thought to be. Daedalus was exiled to the island of Crete and we did not cross paths for another twelve years. That time, I came for the Minotaur. Which was surprising as I was expecting a human. Nevertheless, the Minotaur lives with me now.

Again I saw Daedalus. That time with a son. The two had been banished, prisoners to the labyrinth they reside today. Daedalus had revealed the secret of the maze. With your right hand on the wall, you can escape any fall. In turn the Minotaur was slain, but naturally Daedalus was punished.

_____________________________________________________

Since that last encounter years ago, both the man and boy have changed. I knew that I had seen them before, I just couldn’t quite put my finger on it. When I saw the contraptions, I knew. No one could invent quite like Daedalus. But, skin like a leathery elephant, he’s aged heavily. Contrarily, Icarus has doubled in size. Tanned and lean, he bears the broad shoulders his father once had, and muscles that ripple with every stride.

In the darkness of the shade, I watched and waited. It wasn’t long before I sensed him coming. Icarus I thought. I've come for Icarus.

A stubborn boy, and yes, I say a boy, Icarus neglected his father's warning. Who was he to tell Icarus what to do? Daedalus was the reason behind years of isolation, and now that the world was his oyster, the old fool wouldn’t stop him. 

After spending years in confinement, the boy thirsted for freedom.

 It was the first time in a decade that he could finally see the sea. Flying with the wings fashioned from wax and feathers, ten thousand shards of light winked up at him. The island itself had only woken up too. Flourished with new life, the sweet note of blossoms mingled in the air. Like Icarus, their life had only just begun. Yet, stubborn boy was he, he soared straight for the sun.

All too soon the contraptions that allowed him to fly began to melt. Thick wax made its way down his torso, thighs and toes. Trickling in tiny streams. Stricken by his stupidity, Icarus swore, swerving towards the sea. Alas, it was too late.

The wax no longer served as wings, instead, it weighed him down. The feathers struck from pigeons’ backs formed a messy mound. And so he cried “Oh father why? If only I obeyed. Maybe then I wouldn’t find myself inside a grave!”

So when he fell, I was compelled to catch him as I may. I caught him as he touched the sea on this very day. My hands wrapped round his tired arms, he trembled at my sight. A scream caught short inside his throat, I gave him such a fright.

I felt him mellow, no longer tense, it was almost time to go. I looked deep, within eyes as if to let him know. Suffocating in that brilliant shade of blue, he looked back at me as if he knew.

He closed his eyes, said his goodbyes, and with his last breath, he looked at me directly and whispered “death”.