Last Wish

I switched off the safety and aimed.

The creature was right in front of me and my breath hitched. This was a man, who had a life. He probably had a wife and maybe a daughter who loved him dearly; I couldn’t just…end it.

“They’re not who they were before; nothing but a mindless empty shell.” Those words echoed through my mind, and when I closed my eyes, I pulled the trigger. The body fell, limp to the ground and I stared at the man. “I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“You did better than me, even on your first try.”

            My head whipped around and I locked with amber eyes. “Hooray, I’m a cold blooded killer, I should get a medal.” I muttered sarcastically. “I told you, they don’t feel pain.” I sighed, “What about in their afterlife?” The boy sighed. “Who knows? I doubt there is an afterlife, Elle.”

“But, Trevor-,”

“Drop it Elle, we’ve gotta get going, the sun is going down…”

            I sighed; he was always dropping the subject. I needed answers; even a little white lie will at least give me some closure. I switched the safety back on and placed the pistol in my holster. I hopped into the jeep along with him and we started off. “I need to use more boards for the front entrance, when I woke up it was practically breaking off.” Trevor said but I kept looking out the window. “How’s it going with those drawings?”

I kept silent, since I was in one of my moods. “Elle, listen-,”

            “The drawings are fine; I just need some more acrylic paint…” I let the sentence hang in the air and he knew what that meant; another stop. “Eh, we needed more supplies anyway.” The jeep pulled to a stop in front of a furniture store. It was actually pretty small, but at least there were beds. I got out of the car and walked all the way around to the back. We never used the front entrance, since it was boarded, but the NightBloods rarely came that way.

Well, that’s what we called them. It was better than the term “zombie.”

            I opened the door to an office and placed the gun on the desk. This was my room, nothing big, really it was pretty small. There was a twin size bed against the wall, with a desk beside it. That was pretty much it. When Trevor and I actually arrived at the furniture store, this office was so cluttered with, well, office stuff, so we threw it all out. Then I decided to redecorate; putting a bed, a desk and paintings along the wall.

            The door opened and Trevor walked in with his tousled brown hair. “So, what’s for dinner hmm?” I shrugged, “I’m obviously the one not cooking, so whip up something chef.” He rolled his eyes in a playful manor. “How does ravioli sound?” I smiled, “Better than the standard fare.” The standard fare was pretty much beans and lettuce. Not as bad as you’d think.

            I saw a slight grin creep up his face and he ruffled my hair, while exiting. That was Trevor for you, a mysterious being. Before all of this happened, we were just the average brother and sister who bickered and joked around, that is until he went to college. With him being eighteen, and me being sixteen (well currently), I was pretty much alone. Sure, I had parents but we didn’t have quite a heart-to-heart relationship. It was more of a… “Distant-yet-close kind of thing.”

            After all, I didn’t talk much and they…favored Trevor. One would think that the youngest would be favored, but those must only be in movies. Sure, they loved me, but they were more interested in Trevor. He was more successful than I was, regarding grades (the guy was on the honor roll), social skills and well, everything I wasn’t. Me? I was more quiet, a bit socially awkward, and an average student. I wanted to be an artist…but when I told my parents…they weren’t too happy. Stating it was only a dream career, nothing serious, or successful.