Chapter Seven: Hospital

My eyes flickered open, my brain feeling fuzzy and muddled. A hand was wound in mine tightly. I glanced to my right to see Jasper, looking at me intensely, worry etched in his features. Summer and Lysander were in Jacob and Elise's arms, the fiances standing to Jasper's left. Bella was perched on my bed, staring at me with her violet eyes.

"What happened?" I asked groggily as Dr Robertson came into view. I felt Jasper's thumb sooth the back of my hand.

"Well, it appears that you haven't been getting enough food in you. At least, not enough for your baby. Also, your pre-natal meds that you've been taking are out of date, so you have had a reaction to the bad medicine as well as a case of anemia thanks to the lack of nutrition from the medication."

"Is... is he okay?" I asked, my voice quavering.

"Your baby will be fine as long as you do everything I ask," Dr Robertson said very seriously, his dark brown eyes boring into my violet ones.

"Of course, doctor," I said, biting my lip.

The doctor smiled and said a whole bunch of medical terms that basically boiled down to this: STAY THE HELL IN BED.

"Don't get up?"

"Yes."

"Don't do anything?"

"Yes."

"For how long?" I asked,  feeling trapped.

"Most likely, I'd have to say... At least a month. Possibly longer. Possibly until the delivery."

My mouth popped open. "But it was just a bad batch of medicine, how bad could the damage really be?" I asked, a note of hysteria creeping into my voice.

"Catastrophic. You've been out for a few days. If you had been gone any longer, we would have had to induce labour, and have a still birth."

"A still birth? But.... I don't understand.... my baby's alive!"

"Yes, but he wouldn't be for much longer if you were still passed out."

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped in horror.

"And... I'll tell it to you straight Hannah. Right now, if you do anything I haven't asked of you, there is a 90% chance of a miscarriage."

Tears filled my eyes and Jasper sat up on the bed, wrapping his arm around me.

"So... am I staying in bed at home? Like last time?"

"No," Dr Robertson said regretfully. "You'll have to stay in this hospital."