2 The Unsinkable

Surname. First Name. Age. Boarded. Class
Abbing. Mr. Anthony. 42. Southampton. 3rd
Abbot. Mr. Rossmore. 16. Southampton. 3rd
Abbot. Mr Euggein. 14. Southampton. 3rd
Abelson. Mr. Samuel. 30. Cherbourg. 2nd
Adahl. Mr. Mauritz. 30. Southampton. 3rd

The list continued containing 2,200 names. In addition to the manifest was the blueprints and names of 3000 laborers employed by Harland and Wolf of White Star Line. It was followed by a listing of 250 injured during construction, and death certificates of six, and further names as well as business's related.

It contained reports about many of the crew, including the entire career of Captain Edward J. Smith. Many other papers were mixed into the stack in no particular order. The full envelope must have weighed two pounds or better.

The agent observed as Harold scanned over several documents. He was curious if the case had any veritable basis. He would not leave until Harold could confirm one way or the other. His suspicions soon proved correct.

Upon reading the documents, Harold learned that Captain Smith was an intriguing individual. The Captain had been borne in Hanley, Staffordshire, England January 27th 1850. He had quit school at age 12, yet seemed destined for success; well until April 14th, 1912 that is. He signed onto the crew of Senator Weber in 1867. He earned certificates as second mate in 1871, first mate in 73, and Master in 75. His life was spent much on the open ocean, from moving goods as Captain of Lizzie Fenell, to passenger ships for White Star Line. By 1887 he married Eleanor Pennington and begat an only daughter named Helen. Smith served in the British Royal Navy during the Boer war in South Africa. He also sailed the Adriatic, and the Olympic until a Navy cruiser ran into its side. Harold learned also that Smith held religious services aboard Titanic, and attended a party by Mr. And Mrs. George Dunton Widener at La Carte restaurant on that same grievously fated ship. Other facts about the Captains life were contained in the papers, but nothing that seemed relevant to Harold's cause at present.

Several newspaper clippings were strewn throughout the stack, one of which was titled "Titanic the Unsinkable ship." It was written weeks before the colossal ships maiden voyage. This mostly had to do with the sheer size of the vessel. At 883 feet long, and 104 feet high, Titanic seemed to merit the nickname of Unsinkable. Nothing that large had previously sailed the ocean. As a result the vessel was loaded with only twenty lifeboats, not enough.

The word "Unsinkable" lingered in the forefront of Harold's mind. It seemed ironic since the very next paper was regarding a passenger named Molly Brown. She would become known as the unsinkable Molly Brown.

"Unsinkable." Harold muttered quietly, forgetting the ever present agent waiting for some indication as to wether or not he was waisting his time.

Molly Brown was a philanthropist and activist. She was mostly known for her work on welfare for women and children, as well as workers. She was also an actress

"Extraordinary woman, I must say." Harold spoke as though to himself.

Molly and her husband had lived in Denver off the prosperity gained from her husband's gold mine. When her grandson in the United States became ill, she gained passage on board the Titanic. She continued her activist lifestyle until her unfortunate passing due to stroke at the Barbozan Hotel October 26, 1932 in New York.

Harold leaned back and sighed, taking notice of the agent patiently standing close by.

"Ah yes, please forgive my rudeness, I lost myself in all of this and dreadfully forgot you were there. This matter may have another side never looked into, but to know that, you must answer me one thing."

The agent raised an eyebrow. "Go on."

"Is the manifest a copy or the original document?"

The agent smiled that smile that could frighten children. "It is in fact the original."

"Then it is as I feared. The font is wrong. You see this particular font wasn't used until the next invention of typewriter, created four years after the sinking. In addition the pages are of varied hue, implying that it was returned to and edited several times. This cannot possibly be the original document."

The agent started toward the door, speaking over his shoulder. "I'll keep in touch. Let me know what else you find out."

Harold stood and stretched. He looked toward the commissioner Durenst who had been listening from afar. He gathered the stack of paper and returned it into the envelope.

"I will be going now. I think I would like to continue my search in the comfort of my own home. First thing however, it is imperative that I have a drank. Seems I have my work cut out for me."

With that he buttoned his faded brown long-coat and left. He made his way toward the pub through the countless Sotonian's. He couldn't have guessed the danger that would soon pursue him.