iii. one hundred and seventeen

[ start of 117 part one ]

  AFTER FINDING DEREK in Mexico, albeit as a fifteen year old, the group's aim of their trip was complete, and all that was left to do was make the journey back to Beacon Hills. After all, there was only one person that they knew who would possibly know how to return Derek to normal.

  After two whole days of driving, they pulled into the small parking lot of Beacon Hills Animal Clinic. Derek had slept for over 48 hours without stirring once.

  His head was resting in Eleanor's lap in the backseat. She had refused to leave his side upon finding him in Scott and Braeden's arms. Isaac and Jaden were camped out in the front of the Range Rover.

  Scott, Stiles, Malia, Kira and Lydia had also joined them at the veterinary clinic. They were just as desperate as the twins for answers about what could have happened to Derek since they had last seen him, and if they could return him to some sort of normal.

   Eleanor's eyes looked up from her brother and to the clinic's bright sign, but she hadn't even registered where they were. She was so wrapped up in her thoughts, worrying about her brother, that she only snapped out of her daze when her car door was pulled open.

  She darted her eyes to the source of the movement, and she could have sworn that her heart was breaking all over again for a split second. Stiles stood in the frame of the door, looking at her so softly, so sincerely, that it seemed almost impossible to believe what he had done two months prior.

  "Let me help."

  He reached over and grabbed onto Derek's forearms, brushing his hand over hers as he did so. Time seemed to stop for the both of them, just for one second. Their eyes snapped to one another's instantly. Eleanor had to look away before she felt her whole world collapse again.

  Stiles helped Eleanor to shuffle Derek out of the backseats, holding him steady with the help of Jaden and guiding him towards the building doors. Eleanor took a moment in the car as everybody gathered toward the clinic, shutting her eyes and squeezing her fists together in an attempt to compose herself. She joined the pack moments later as they made their way into the building.

Bringing Derek into the clinic was a task in itself, one that didn't seem to be worth it from the look on Deaton's face.

"Wow."

The group laid Derek down atop one of the metal counters in the room and looked at Deaton carefully as he examined the boy.

"Wow?" Jaden questioned. "Wow as in 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do' or not? Cause thats the kind of 'Wow' we need right now."

Deaton gave him a pointed look, raising his eyebrows. "I think you're overestimating my abilities."

He took a step closer to the teenager laid out in front of him, leaning closer to look at any details that the pack seemingly couldn't see. The vet's palm clasped around Derek arm, aiming to inspect closer, but pulled back abruptly just as soon as he touched his skin.

"He's cold."

Eleanor nodded. "I've been trying to warm him up in the car for the past two days but nothing's been working."