Chapter 14

Anthony put the call on loudspeaker. We all gathered 'round him. "Hello?" he started.

"Hello," the voice was crackly again as in the last call with the police earlier. It wasn't a good connection.

"Uh, sino 'to? Kinsa ni?" Anthony asked. From what I learned earlier, that phrase meant, 'who's this?'

"Umuwi na kayo ng Manila," the voice said straight, firm. The voice was grumbled with a local's accent. Then the line got cut.

We all looked at each other after the call ended.

"So ano? Tinatakot naman tayo?" Star immediately snapped, annoyed. "This is stupid," she said and shook her head. She plopped back down to where she was lying.

I sighed, allowing the call to sink in.

"Oh my goodness!" Macy reacted, completely terrified.

The boys were just looking at each other.

"Hay naku, hayaan nyo na yan," Star said. "Ang ganda ng movie eh oh," she added and pointed to the TV screen.

"Tell the police Anthony," I told him. "Full disclosure. We shouldn't delay something like this. You know what? Text it as well. So you have a time stamp of when you informed the police. And screenshot the incoming call and the duration," I added.

"Yeah," Hans agreed, nodding. "What Ellie said."

"Ugh shit, low batt na 'ko," Anthony said looking at his phone.

Then the lights went out.

"Oh no!" That was Macy.

"My phone!" I said as I scrambled for it. Where have I put it? It's so freaking dark!

"Naiihi pa naman ako," Star said who was beside me.

"Ryan paabot nga ng bag ko," Hans requested.

"Ryan!!!" Macy again.

"'Wag kang magulo Mace. Nahuhubaran na 'ko. Masisira tee shirt ko," Ryan told Macy. "Nasan bag mo Hans?"

"Sa paanan mo," Hans said.

"Why of all nights? Why? Why now?" Anthony was asking from somewhere.

"Do you have a powerbank Anthony?" I asked him. I wanted him to do what I asked. "Where you na Anthony?"

"Here," I heard Anthony say. "Wala eh. Nasa Manila lahat! Stupid 'no?"

Someone was near me. I reached out to the person. "Who are you?"

"Your dreamboat," Hans joked.

"Whatever Hans," I said. "Who has a powerbank? Anthony needs his phone charged," I announced.

"Mine's empty," I heard Ryan say. "Macy, stop!"

"Oist, anong ginagawa nyo dyan sa dilim, ha?" Hans said.

"Kung kailan kailangan mo ng moon, wala! Ang dilim sa labas!" Star said. "Surreal!"

"You're looking through a window?" I asked.

"No, I opened the door," Star answered. "Ang init eh."

"What?!?" Macy shouted, aghast. "You could let anyone in! Ngayon pa Star!"

"Okay, isasara ko," Star said. "Kalma."

It's freaking dark!!! My eyes should've adjusted by now!

"The flashlights are in the lobby or in the office, I'm not sure. I'll just go get it," Anthony said.

"What?! No Anthony! We stay together," Macy said with conviction.