Chapter 2: Verdict

Chapter 2

2 months later

I woke up in the middle of the night, for the seventh time in order to go to the bathroom. After I came out from doing my business, Luke was sitting up in bed. “Babe, are you okay? You've been going to the bathroom a lot during the night.” I went back into bed and laid my head in his lap, and he began to rub my back.

“I don't know, I've been feeling really tired and out of energy lately. And it hurts whenever I shift. It's been getting harder and harder to keep food down too....” I trailed off towards the end, and snapped up, successfully knock my head into his face. He groaned, “Sorry, I swear that I didn't mean to.” I got up from the bed and began to pace back and forth. It can't be, it's not possible. Well it is, but, I didn't think it would happen so soon.

I heard him get up and wrap his arms around me. “Alexa, what's wrong?” I turned in his arms, “Nothing, it's nothing. Let's go back to bed.” He gave me a look that said he wasn't convinced, but he complied. After I heard the soft breathing of his sleep, I pulled out my phone and dialed the family doctor, I've never met her, and I don't even know her name. So this should be interesting.

It rung quite a few times, and just when I thought it was going to go to voice mail, someone picked up. “Ugh, hello? Do you know what time it is?” I could tell she was annoyed from being awoken so early in the morning.

“Yes, I'm sorry, but it's an emergency.” I whispered into the phone. I didn't want Luke to hear any of this. “I think I might be pregnant. Would, would it be possible to get an appointment in the morning?” There was silence on the other line. I heard some shuffling of papers and her voice came back on the other line.

“Could you tell me your symptoms please?” I nodded and realized that that was dumb, considering she can't see me through the phone.

“I wake up quite frequently in the night to go to the bathroom, I'm really tired and I don't have a lot of energy to do things. It's hard to keep my food down.” I heard a click of the pen on the other side.

“Based on what you're telling me, it does sound like you are pregnant. But, I'll get you in for an examination in the morning, just to be sure alright? Let's say,” there was some ticking on a keyboard, “8:50 a.m. does that sound fine?”

“Yeah, that sounds fine.” I gave her the rest of my personal information. “Thank you so much, and I'm sorry for waking you.” We both said our goodbye's and hung up. I went back to bed, for the short amount of time I could get some sleep.

I stepped out of the bathroom, just about to leave when a pillow was thrown at me. “Ow, what did you do that for?” I shot Luke a glare and a frown.

“I said your name eight times.” He looked me up and down. “Where are you going?”

I hesitated, “I'm going to the doctor's to figure out what's up with me. That's all.” He looked at me, worried in his eyes.

“Do you want me to go with you?”

“No!” I said that really quickly, too quickly. “I mean, I'm a big girl, I can handle myself.” I pulled up my shirt sleeve and flexed my bicep. He smiled at me and I smiled right back. “I'll be back in an hour or two.” I went up to him and kissed him on the lips. “See you soon.” I walked out of the room and went down to the car that Luke bought me. It was a super nice Jeep; I only found out later that the Edge family is super rich. I should have figured that out from the house though. I put the keys into the ignition, backed out, and headed to the doctor's office.

I sat in the waiting room, bouncing my leg up and down. “Miss Shadow?” I looked up and saw a nurse in front of me. “It's time, please follow me.” I got up and walked with her until we got to the examination room. She took my height, weight, blood pressure, and all the necessary things they needed. “Alright, the doctor will be with you shortly.” I nodded my head. When she said shortly, I never expected it to be three minutes, it usually takes longer than that. I stood up from the table and shook her hand.