4. Leaking

4. Leaking

My eyelids shoot wide open and my heart is thudding. I feel terrible. I am not sure why. I rub my eyes, and realise that I am crying. Why am I crying? I wipe my eyes dry. Have I been having a nightmare? If so, why can I not remember it?

My head really hurts and I seem to have a temperature. When my mother enters two hours later, she realises that I am ill. I spend the rest of the weekend recovering, and slipping in and out of consciousness.

The next week is not very interesting. It is not too bad, even though Natasha still hates me, but at least I have become good friends with Philip. It turns out that he is not quite so odd, after getting through the awkward introduction. He is rather funny and sweet.

I go swimming a few times that week, meeting Tom a few times. We have become better friend by now.

However, I keep feeling depressed. My dislike for Captain Tim has grown into hatred now, every time I hear him over the loudspeaker. I am very confused. I do not understand. It is as if there is something going on that I cannot remember.

“How are you today, Jo?” Tom asks on Friday. We are going for our chat by the pool, sitting side by side.

“I’m okay, although I’ve been feeling odd recently. I’m not sure why, though. What about you?”

“I hope you feel better soon, then. I’m fine. How’s school?” We usually begin with formalities before moving onto other subjects. “It’s better. I have a friend, now.” He looks surprised. I realise that I never really talked about school to him. Woops. “What do you mean?” I explain the conflict between me and Natasha.

“It’s nothing, really. Just a part of life, I suppose.” He laughs. I am unsure of what to make of his laughter. He quickly stops laughing when he sees my face.

“Sorry, Jo. I just can’t believe that everyone would be so horrible to such a pretty and clever girl.” I feel my cheeks heat up. Why do my cheeks always betray me? “Sorry, though. I didn’t mean to laugh.” I smile at him, despite myself. “So, who’s this friend you’ve made?” He asks.

“Oh, Philip. I’m not sure why exactly he decided to abandon the safe harbour of Natasha,” Tom laughs again at this. “But he’s okay. After we got past a really awkward start, of me being rather rude to him, he turned out to be quite nice.” I look at Tom and see him with his eyebrows raised.  I look at him questioningly.

“I think I know why exactly he decided to hang out with. And plus, you’re a cool person.” It is my turn to laugh now, and I decide not to question his weird reply.

“Thanks. You are, too. Did you know you’re the first friend I made on this ship? Sad, right?”

“Well, if you hadn’t made such a big deal at school in the first place…” he teases. I roll my eyes.

“Anyway, I think we should get swimming, now,” I say. I always seem to be the one reminding him why he came to the swimming pool in the first place.