Chapter 21

Ivypool's POV
She stared at the mass pile of bodies in the clearing. A deep frown melted into her face as she saw her father, the one and only Birchfall among those bodies. I know I've done many things wrong... But he hasn't. Why would you take him and not me? Ivypool wondered with a sigh. There would be a vigil tonight for all WindClan and ThunderClan cats that had died in the gruesome battle. Even though Birchfall was the only ThunderClan cat that died, others were very close. Leafpool trotted over to Ivypool and laid her herbs down. "Anything serious?" The medicine cat asked. Honestly Ivypool hadn't felt the pain of her wounds until now. "No, you can move on." Ivypool said absentmindedly. With a nod, Leafpool picked up her herbs and walked off to another cat. "Dovewing!" She heard Firestar call and flattened her ears. Ugh. She's talking with him again. Must be fun being that attended to. Ivypool thought angrily and looked away as her sister passed. Didn't she care that I get no attention while she's the head of the clan? Ivypool stood and stalked to Birchfall's body, pushing her nose against his fur. Some cat padded behind Ivypool, pressing against her fur and placing their nose beside Ivypool's. Surprised, Ivypool looked up and saw her mother. Now that she thought of it, the two she-cats haven't talked in a while. No words were spoken as they mourned for their loss.

Dovewing's POV
"Why didn't you sense anything happened at the WindClan camp?" Firestar asked as soon as she padded into the den. "I wasn't putting my hearing out..." Dovewing mumbled. The fiery leader sighed, flicking his tail. "You need to be more attentive. Have your senses out on a regular check, okay?" Firestar instructed. I don't think that's how it works. "Yes Firestar." And with that she was dismissed, passing Sandstorm. "We will mourn later, but for now we must strengthen ourselves. The strongest cats step forward." Brambleclaw announced. Lionblaze obviously stepped forward, as well as Cloudtail and Graystripe. Bumblestripe, Squirrelflight and Cinderheart joined them.

Ivypool's POV
She stepped up beside Squirrelflight and flicked her ear, guessing it was for patrols. "Squirrelflight, take Cloudtail and Bumblestripe hunting. Catch more than usual, we have a lot of mouths to feed." The bright orange she-cat nodded and collected the two before walking out. "Graystripe, Lionblaze and Cinderheart check the border for any signs of danger, but be careful." The three nodded and set off, leaving just him and Ivypool. "You and I will go around the ShadowClan border and mark it thoroughly." Ivypool nodded and padded after him, listening to the birds chirping away high above the camp. Some leaves were crushed softly beneath her paws and she dodged a few twigs along the way. "So what's up with you?" Brambleclaw asked, slowing down to walk at her side. She looked at him confused. "What do you mean?" Ivypool asked. "You've been more grumpy and snappy than usual these past few days. And you barely talk to anyone." Brambleclaw looked at her seriously. Ivypool rolled her eyes, looking away. "I'm fine." Brambleclaw lashed his tail. "No, something's up and you're going to tell me or we will sit here all night." The deputy snorted and sat, signaling her to do the same. Ivypool reluctantly sat in front of him, refusing to meet eyes with the dark brown tabby. "There's nothing wrong." She insisted. "Ivypool." Brambleclaw meowed deeply. She sighed, turning her head to look at him. "I haven't been getting much sleep, I guess." She mumbled. "And?" Brambleclaw urged her on. "I don't know." Ivypool snorted and flicked her ear. "Shouldn't we be marking the borders?" She asked, wanting to change the subject. "Not until I can assure the clan's warriors are alright. If you insist, we'll mark the borders, but I'll be keeping an eye out for you." Ivypool nodded and quickly padded away toward the ShadowClan border.

A/N:
Sorry this chapter is kinda short, I've been having a pretty busy summer this year and now with school here I'll be even busier. Again, sorry, I'll try to update as much as I can. Thanks for reading!