Chapter 12: Just Realized

“Maibabalik ko pa ba ang kahapon na sana tayo pa, na hindi pa tayo pag-aari ng iba?”

--ctto :)

Time check: 12:04a.m.

The digital clock on the bedside table told Dawn that she should really be asleep by this time.  She glanced at her husband who was deeply slumbering beside her, one arm around her waist.  She felt guilty since earlier that night he had invited her to a “breakfast date” at the opening of The Brewing Corner, wherein the owner happened to be a close friend of Anton.  She closed her eyes for a few minutes, but when she still failed to doze off; she decided to leave the bed quietly.

Rummaging through the shelves in the kitchen, she found a bottle of white wine and poured the content into a goblet, almost half-emptying the bottle and took a sip.

“Dawn, tanggap ko na.  You kept insisting that what had ended twenty years ago should be kept that way.  And oo, siguro tama ka kasi iba na ngayon...  Tanggap ko na that it’s really too late for us...”

Before she went to bed that night, she expectantly scanned her phone to see if Richard’s ritual greeting of “good nights” would appear in her inbox (which didn’t).  It was an odd feeling, as if something was missing.

“Mali ka talaga, Dawn, mali..” she muttered, taking another long sip of wine.  She had always thought that Richard would always be there, no matter how many times she pushed him away.  She always thought he would never get tired of telling her that he loves her still, no matter how many times she insisted that she no longer felt the same way.

Now Playing: “Time Machine”

by: Six Part Invention

♪♪ Do you remember how it felt like?

I still remember how the days that end, the weeks and months

We were together for so long

I haven’t noticed, that we’re falling down too fast.. ♪♪

Memories came rushing to her like a tidal wave...

She was then wearing a red long-sleeved dress, walking uneasily towards Richard.  He immediately sensed that something was wrong.

“O what’s the matter, Dawn?” he asked the moment she reached him, one hand instantly around her waist for support.

“Medyo maluwag itong heels eh,” she replied, tugging a bit at the thin strap.  “Nakakatakot baka madulas ako later sa duet natin.”

“Tsss. ‘Wag kang mag-alala, lagi lang akong nandito para saluhin ka,” he said with a wink.

“Sira.”

She remembered the look on his face when they sang:

“Bakit mayro'n pang nadarama gayong hindi na tayong dalawa?”

And she remembered how she messed up the lyrics (“Bakit magwawakas pag-ibig na wagas?”) because the words of the previous line simply held so much meaning for them both.

...and she recalled how he kissed her lightly on the cheek.

.....and how she couldn’t help but hug him too.

“Ano ba naman toh!” she cried, letting out her breath.

♪♪If I could take it all back