Chapter 1: The Queen Mary

I wake with a jolt. The world slowly comes into focus. I can hear waves crashing against the seemingly sturdy frame of The Queen Mary. The elegant ship is tossing and turning like a restless child. This is not right. Then I hear it. A single, long, piercing note. A scream, a human scream. I can bear the suspense no longer. I push myself up out of my bunk and walk unsteadily across the cabin to where my mother is sleeping. But she is not sleeping. Her bed is empty.

I cry out in pain as the ship lurches sideways, tossing me like a rag doll against the cold metal wall. I am hurt, but I can't worry about that now. I scramble up the remaining stairs and emerge onto the expansive and very slippery deck. The howling wind is slicing me and icy cold sea spray is stinging my face. I take a moment to regain my balance as the ship heaves. The deck is chaos, passengers and sailors alike are running, screaming, crying. Then suddenly, through the mess, I see her. My mother.

"MUM!!"
I scream at the top of my voice. She spins around and catches sight of me, starts running towards me. She reaches out and just as our hands are about to touch, the ship gives a humongous lurch. And then she is gone. I hear her scream as she falls, slipping and sliding through the mass of flailing limbs, trying to grab hold of something, anything. And then panic grips me like a vice. I start half running, half sliding down the deck towards her. But I am too late.