Chapter 4: A new friend

Slowly and groggily my eyes drift open, revealing a brand new day. But wait a second, where am I? Then, as I lazily roll over onto my side and see nothing but a short stretch of golden sand and then a wide expanse of sapphire blue ocean sparkling in the early morning sunlight, I remember. Everything. My life, something that has taken twelve years to create, something that is irreparable, has been ripped apart in a matter of hours. What have I done to deserve this? And more so, what did my mother do to deserve what she received, death?

The crystal water is silky against my skin, and as I look down I see a multitude of fish every colour of the rainbow. If I had been with my mother on holiday, this would have been paradise. But unfortunately my life is no longer quite that easy. I flip onto my back and float, letting the cool water wash away the past.

I am suddenly jerked back to reality as I feel something brush against my bare skin, sending a shiver of fear running down my spine. I look down through the clear water and my heart skips a beat. Swirling around my feet is a large grey shape. A shark. I scream and frantically swim towards the shore, but I don't even make it half way. Out of all things, it is a piece of seaweed that has to kill me. I could have at least died heroically, is that too much to ask?! Apparently it is, because I feel something tighten around my ankle. Something slimy and green. No matter how hard I try, I cannot free myself and the shark is getting closer and closer.

I feel like my heart will jump right out of my chest, and I can only take small, shuddering breaths, any of which could be my last. Then, all there is is darkness.

A persistent nudging finally arouses me, pulling me from the endless void of sleep. As I roll onto my side, strange salty liquid fills my mouth. I am suddenly aware of something next to me, something large and smooth and grey. Then I remember. The shark.

The slender creature is sliding underneath me, gently allowing me to be draped over its sturdy back. There is nothing I can do but lie still, paralysed by a strange mix of fear and wonder. The powerful being glides slowly towards the shore, carefully adjusting me when I start sliding off its back. When the water is no more than two foot deep, it twists so I a no longer on its back but floating in the sunlit ocean.

I slowly turn around to face the water, soaked, bedraggled and completely dumbstruck. The sand is warm and reassuring beneath me. The shark gives me something that I can swear is a smile, then without hesitation flicks its tail and disappears into the waves.