Part 1

In the distance only the faint ringing of a bellwether's bell could be heard. The sun steadily raised over the horizon of the field bordered by a forest. A dangerous forest. Its darkness knowing no bounds to the little village just outside. The village itself was small and humble, but it still bustled every day the same as the last. Happily, like clockwork, I dust off my pink laced dress and went out to my field. All thy sheep look up from the grass glistening with last night's dew and waddle over contently as if to say 'good morning' or something of the like. They sniffed my glossy black shoes and then up my ankle noticing white lacey socks. They bleat looking up and so I pat their white woolen heads.

I grip the Shepard's hook my father had given to me glancing around for the bellwether. I happen to love my kind and gracious parents. Providing me with all I need to survive, so much so often my piers would call me spoiled. But as my parents say, if I am fair and kind everything will work out and one day I shall reach the sky and join the other princesses. But first things first. My sheep. Each little sheep means something to me, all of them as important as the last. I know that each and every one of them are loyal and will stay with me till the end of time. So maybe one day, when I become that just princess, I can take them with me.

I take a stroll to another part of the field looking about for my bellwether. The others follow carefully trotting to keep up. My heart sinks with a tingle in my feet as I see him there near the forest. He couldn't. He wouldn't. A little sheep like him won't survive alone in the darkest of woods. And those woods just beyond my field were the darkest around. Heart racing I walk over quickly trying to call my bellwether back. With a jingle and a turn of the head the bellwether takes a step farther away from me. Does it understand the danger of the forest? Villagers from all over who manage to come back alive had stories to tell. Horrid stories. Stories that have kept me awake at night hoping to never see a day where I would have to ever face the pit of despair that now lay before my bellwether. The sheep follow at my heal trying to stop my progression, tugging at the hem of my powder pink skirt but I can't stop. I won't stop. Not until my sheep is safely within my arms.

The bellwether bleats and jolts into a run, causing me to lurch into action. The flock chased down my every step. I can't let him go. But the border of the forest comes closer and closer until I halt. Deep breathes. I can do this. This is only a multitude of trees right? No tree has ever hurt or scared anyone. My heart thuds and all I can here is the loud bleating. One look back and I take one step into the new land. Anxiety fills me. My eyes are closed tightly shut. I can't waste another minute thinking about everything to come, but I feel paralyzed. No. I walk forward opening my eyes. The sheep bleat louder and louder. Florescent light flicker down through the trees, the only thing keeping from complete darkness was the glow of white fabric and the sheep following my trail. How odd. I pick up the pace hoping to hear the ringing of the bellwether's bell. Only silence. Every sheep had grown quiet knowing the best is to not make a sound.

Jumping over tree roots and ducking under limbs I find myself deeper and deeper in the mess of the woods. I miss. I then find myself on my back after tumbling head over heels on a root. My back and head ached with the sudden shock of pain. I push myself up to sitting position and run my fingers through my locks to catch twigs and dirt. I then check my legs for any injury, which reluctantly was a little scrape that ran a hole through my now dirty white leggings. A panicked bleat came from behind so I turn to look back, and what I found was astonishing. One of the ewes had begun to float above the ground, along with another, and another. The sheep bleated in a cry flailing their hooves through the air.

I attempt getting up quickly but once again I am halted for things to only get weirder. They started to warp in and out of shape. Their bleats muddle in the process to human cries. One ewe had transformed into what I can only describe as to be a circus performer, the only thing recognizable was the tag left on her earlobe. White wool turned into midnight hair slicked back into a tight bun. The rest joined her, all men and ladies dressed as if to preform trapeze stunts. My jaw dropped to see what has become of my livestock. I only hope my bellwether is the same. Each took a bow and curtsy to each other with a smile and a laugh.

I take a stand leaning against the tree I tripped over hoping this is the only thing that happens to me today. Sure it was quite horrid rather than bizarre and disturbing. One of the "sheep" looked over and bowed to me.

"Good Evening" he said taking off a white glove to shake my hand. His skin was pale, they were all pale. Deathly pale. I couldn't manage to say a word to him, but hold out my quivering hand with fear as he took it.

"Why so afraid Bo? There is nothing to be afraid of. We're all fine" The past sheep tried to say to me. I couldn't believe him. I am afraid because I am in the dark forest, alone. Or was alone, because now my entire flock has turned into a cast of carneys.

"No" I say nervously worried if they would retaliate in some way if I object to anything.

"You're not fine. You're a person... that's not normal. It's not right" I try to look the sheep in the eyes but I couldn't seem to, so I stare past him, but the black atmosphere that surrounds us all is more terrifying. So I attempt looking at his face again.

"What? But I find it a major improvement in fact" The others nod with a smile taking steps closer. He still had a grip on my hand.

"We can talk to you, be true friends, you know how the other children teased you... and even more so we can communicate, the fact of the matter is... you shouldn't be chasing after that bellwether" He said, the others nod again vigorously in agreement. I could sense some truth behind his words but nobody should be left behind.

"I shouldn't?" I reply looking down "how come?" The sheep let go of my hand swaying his upwards gesturing to the immediate area around us.

"Don't you see where we are? In the middle of the forest that terrifies you. Don't you understand he left you on pure will and intent?" he said aggressively. I myself nod this time. I shouldn't bother, but deep inside I know I have to follow the bellwether. He was my responsibility. Although if I return to the field with a bunch of performers I don't know how well that will end either.

"Now we should start going home where you belong" He said starting to walk off but paused.

"Well aren't you coming?" He glanced back my way. I shook my head, I still yet feel a need to find my bellwether.

"As much as I'd like to return home... I have to find him, I know my bellwether is in danger and is alone and scared..." The carneys laughed with a scoff.

"He left for a reason" He said rather amused. I take a few steps back, feeling a strange change in atmosphere.

"But I suppose if you are not going to leave the forest with a fight so be it" he said then took a swing at me. I ducked watching his fist plow into the tree. The others gasp and try to take a stab at attack by running towards me. I notice my Shepard's hook lying on the ground so I quickly pick it up and whack down the first performer that dare to come close.

"Don't let her escape!" he yelled as I got up to my feet. They all charge. I can't help but scramble about trying to escape. Now I truly understand the horror. My own sheep have turned against my pursuit. My heart is thudding harder than before. I should give up, but a true princess would never... a true friend alone would never. I see a low branch ahead. They all scream my name, yelling to come back. I throw the hook down to jump up and take hold of the branch. I keep quiet and crawled into the shadows. The sheep finally catching up and stopping seeing the Shepard's hook on the ground.

"Where'd she go?" a ewe asked picking up my hook and looking at it. The first performer caught up, his knuckles bleeding and dirty from punching the tree.

"You let her get away?!" He yelled taking it from her. He snapped it over his leg, the others gasped surprised. They gave each other glances shifting their gaze than looked at their new leader.

"We'll split up into search parties" He said sternly, they huddle closely together for he started whispering his plans quietly. The all nodded as he started pointing out in different ways then split up. He held the broken Shepard's hook as he left.

The rest departed and I waited a minute to drop down. That was close. Too close. Perhaps now I should be more careful, and hopefully nothing worse comes my way.