Bluebird (Drama)

The wind whipped the woman's skirt around her bare legs, the bustling city traffic making a racket below her. From the uncomfortable windowsill, she could see the tops of the tallest buildings and the tips of blurred wings and for just a moment, it felt like she could fly.

Her phone buzzed in her breast pocket and she closed her eyes, swaying precariously on the edge. She reached for it and without looking, threw the phone with all her might down below, wishing she would be able to hear the inevitable smash as it collided with the pavement.

As if having a sudden thought, the woman reached for her other pocket and pulled out a frayed wallet. She held it gingerly for a few moments before slowly opening it, her eyes drawing to the small photograph placed in the plastic sleeve. Two women were shown here, both grinning with mischievous glee, twinkles in their eyes.

It was her and her daughter.

For the first time, a tear welled up in the woman's eye and rolled slowly down her cheek. She took the photograph out of its place and clutched it tightly to her chest, rocking back and forth on the thin ledge she was perched on. Agonising grief wreaked havoc through her body and the woman wailed, her voice becoming lost in the city sounds.

Her heart hurt.

"I'm so sorry," she sobbed. "I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."

For she could not handle this type of pain any longer. She wanted to be free, like a bluebird.

With one last tearful look at the picture, she stood up, wobbling dangerously, bare feet barely clutching the ledge. The woman took a deep breath that filled her lungs, listening momentarily to her heart pounding in her chest, as if it knew what was coming.

With determined resolve, she stepped into the empty air and fell, the photo of her daughter flying far behind her.