Chapter 1

The heat escaped through the cracks of the concrete jungle. I was taking my final walk around New York City. I looked around at the cafes, clubs, and restaurants that filled my precious memories of the past 3 years. I’m normally not this sentimental, but today was the day I was moving away from the town I had been going to college to for the past 3 years. I’m an NYU student who finished my junior year of college this past spring. I was ahead of the rest of the my class, so I was given the opportunity to go intern in London for my senior year in hopes of finding a job. I was so ecstatic to finally be moving on. I adored New York, it was the place I had dreamed of going to college while living in a small town down south, but I was getting a chance to intern in London, which outweighs any other opportunity in my life.

I finally made it back to Washington Park and then made my way up to my dorm I stayed in this summer to take some final classes before my internship.

“Liz!” I heard screeching down the hallway. Summer classes are hardly ever full, which means neither are the dorms. There were only 4 other people living on my hall built for 50 people. I assumed this was Megan, a girl who I had become friends with out of simple lack of companionship this summer. All my other friends were living in apartments elsewhere having fun. Megan came and hugged me as if she were my sister. “You truly are special and have so many opportunities in front of you. Shine on, you crazy diamond!” She said with a kindhearted giggle. Although we weren’t all that close, I found a bit of humor in her cheesy speech and it also warmed my heart that she quoted one of my favorite songs of all time since she knew how much it meant to me.

With my few boxes and bags, I got in a taxi and headed for JFK airport. Time in the airport seemed to fly by, no pun intended, and soon the sun was setting and I was taking off the runway. With a final look at the City of Dreams, I closed my eyes hoping I would wake up in the city that would make my dreams come true.