No. 4

"Rachel, I think it's time that we go to the store and grab some groceries" Nan poked her head out of the fridge and frowned.

I nod and set down my cup.

"Sure, let me go change first" I smiled and walked to the stairs, then up them to my room. It's been two days now and let me tell ya, it's great that this Nathan guy is here. I mean, we don't really do much, but we talk a lot. Apparently he's 18, just one year older than me. His favorite color is red, mine is lavender, his favorite food is spaghetti bolognese, mine's fettuccine alfredo. He likes puppies and so do I. He doesn't really remember much from his past because of the robbery.

I was almost to the top of the steps, then all of a sudden my sock got caught on the last step and I almost fell forward, but a set of hands caught me just in time.

"Woah, are you okay Rachel?" Mason grabbed me up from the steps. I blushed tremendously from the stupid freak accident and stood up, brushing dust from my tank top.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks Mason" I grinned.

"You're.. Welcome.." He gazed into my eyes. It was as if they spoke a million words, and told a whole life story, but didn't at the same time. It was a window into his beautifuly kind soul.

He was still holding my arms. I snap out of my trance and blush again.

I get out of his grip. "So, thanks again. I gotta go.. Change now." I perk up and rush to my room, slamming it and leaving him there.

"Is everything okay up there darling?" Grandma asked from downstairs. My heart beats a million times faster then it did before.

"Yeah, she's fine!" Mason answered her for me. I took deep breaths to regulate my breathing and heartbeat. I stood up from my door to walk to my closet, changing into a red shirt striped with white and high waisted jean shorts. I put on white Nike shoes and walked to my desk, brushing my dirty blonde hair out.

I know it seems strange to dress up for the grocery store, but that's the only place I can get out to, besides the parties that the teenagers in the town through late at night. Grandma knows nothing about that part, but she does know that I hang with them sometimes.

I grabbed sunglasses off of my desk and rushed out the door, but then put them back when I realized it looked gloomy outside. Mason was still standing where I left him.

"Oh hey, where are you going?" He asked me.

"Grocery store. Wanna come?" I offered. He shrugged.

"I guess."

We walk down the stairs. Grandma was still in the kitchen doing some tidying.

"Hey gran, we're ready!" I pointed to Mason in navy blue pants and black shirt and me.

"That's great. We should go n-" She was interrupted by herself coughing terribly. Worry filled my face as I rushed over to her. She coughed into a handkerchief and grabbed my arm tightly as she coughed. Mason tried to help her too.

"Nan, are you okay?!" I raised my eyebrows in worry.

"I'm fine dar-" She coughed again. It sounded horrible. Blood spat out of her mouth and into the handkerchief.

"Okay, maybe Mason and I will just go to the grocery store. You need to rest, okay?" She nods while Mason and I walk her up the stairs and into her room. Her perfume filled the room. I loved the smell so much, it reminded me of childhood and how my mom used to wear that same kind of perfume. Mason laid her onto her bed and fetched her some tea.

"Are you sure you're okay gran?" I caressed her cheek and lifted the blankets over her.

Mason came back now and put the warm tea on the desk next to her.

"Yes, I'm fine. I think it's just a small cold is all. The grocery list is on the counter in the kitchen" She smiled weakly and removed her hand from mine, drifting off to sleep. I sighed and walked down the stairs with Mason. I grabbed the grocery list and headed out the door with Mason.

"Are you okay Rach?" He asked as we got into the red truck.

"I'm fine" I lied.

I shook my head and turned the ignition on.

"No, I'm actually not" I sighed and buckled my seatbelt.

"What's wrong?" He placed his hand on my shoulder before doing the same.

"I'm just scared to lose her" I frowned and backed out of the gravel driveway.

"It's okay, you won't" He placed his hand on my thigh, giving me a reassuring smile. I smiled softly and started driving off of the farm.

"Molasses?" He asked as he lifted a glass of black tar.

I looked at the list.

"Yep" I smiled. He nodded and put the jar into the basket and strolled along with me as we picked out other food.

"So why molasses?" He raised his eyebrow.

I laughed at the memory.

"Because, she'd always use molasses to make my birthday cake. It makes the cake darker and sweeter, I think" I waved my finger and grabbed some jam.

"Is your birthday soon or something?"

"Yeah, you made it just in time because my birthday's tomorrow." I grinned at him. He chuckled.

"August 13." I smirked and grabbed more jam.

"Cool, mine's August 31!" He said as I put the jam into his basket.

"Well hey! Happy early, early birthday Mason, guess we can bake you cookies or something!" I cheered and walked down the aisle. A brown haired girl caught my eye. I widened my eyes in amazement and ran to her, hugging her, and making her drop the cardboard box of cereal.

"Gwen!!" I yelled while hugging her tightly.

"Rachel?!" She gasped and let go of me.

She looked into my blue eyes, as I looked into her greenish gray eyes and grinned.

"I knew it was you!" She hugged me and twirled me around. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mason standing there awkwardly. I laughed and pulled away.

"I thought you were moving back?"

"Nope, last minute change of plans" She grinned. I laughed and started talking, but she interrupted me.

"Dude, some cute guy is staring at you" She whispered and pointed to a direction where Mason is. I turned my head back to see Mason staring at me, then turn away quickly.

I giggled and turned back to her.

"Nah, that's just Mason. He's my newest friend"